Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

Default How to invoke the "paste options" icon from a toolbar?

Hi,

When we click paste, the "paste options" icon appears and we can choose
"keep source formatting" or "match destination formatting" or ......

Is there another way (other than repasting) to invoke this icon if it
disappears when I hit enter accidentally?

I can probably use format painter or ctrl+shift+c and ctrl+shift+v if I want
to use source formatting. But how, if I want to match destination
formatting without actually selecting the lines and keying in the font type
and size. I am looking for a shortcut here.

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can assign the EditPasteOption command to a shortcut key or to a
toolbar.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Epinn" wrote in message
Hi,

When we click paste, the "paste options" icon appears and we can choose
"keep source formatting" or "match destination formatting" or ......

Is there another way (other than repasting) to invoke this icon if it
disappears when I hit enter accidentally?

I can probably use format painter or ctrl+shift+c and ctrl+shift+v if I
want
to use source formatting. But how, if I want to match destination
formatting without actually selecting the lines and keying in the font
type
and size. I am looking for a shortcut here.

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

Herb,

ToolsCustomizeCommandsEditPaste

and

ToolsCustomizeCommandsAll CommandsEditPasteOption

are exactly the same.

When the latter was dragged to a toolbar and moused over, the tip displayed
"paste" instead of "paste options."

In other words, when I clicked on it, the copied item was **pasted for a
second time**, just like the regular paste button. What I want is to invoke
the paste options icon but not to repaste. Where can I find that command?

Thanks.

Epinn

"Epinn" wrote in message
Hi,

When we click paste, the "paste options" icon appears and we can choose
"keep source formatting" or "match destination formatting" or ......

Is there another way (other than repasting) to invoke this icon if it
disappears when I hit enter accidentally?

I can probably use format painter or ctrl+shift+c and ctrl+shift+v if I
want
to use source formatting. But how, if I want to match destination
formatting without actually selecting the lines and keying in the font
type
and size. I am looking for a shortcut here.

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Epinn

Two things are going on here.

First, there are several different commands that share the same icon and the
same tooltip. So when you look in the Tools Customize All Commands list,
you see lots of commands whose names start with "Edit". They all do
different things, but if you drag them all to a toolbar, several of them
have the same icon and the same tooltip. That's not very useful to you and
I, but you can change the icon and/or the text if you want to distinguish
them.

Second, the EditPasteOption command pastes *and* displays the Paste Options
button. I can't find a way to just display the Paste Options button on its
own. And when I think about it, I'm not sure how it could work. If I could
invoke it at will, then the document would have to remember, for each item
ever pasted, what was the 'source' formatting and what was the 'destination'
formatting at the moment of the paste. And the document does not do that.

I don't think you can achieve what you have in mind. Sorry.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Epinn" wrote in message
Hi,

When we click paste, the "paste options" icon appears and we can choose
"keep source formatting" or "match destination formatting" or ......

Is there another way (other than repasting) to invoke this icon if it
disappears when I hit enter accidentally?

I can probably use format painter or ctrl+shift+c and ctrl+shift+v if I
want
to use source formatting. But how, if I want to match destination
formatting without actually selecting the lines and keying in the font
type
and size. I am looking for a shortcut here.

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

Shauna,

Thank you for explaining. I was about to give up and now after reading your
post I will close the case.

I should make a point to learn from your web site.

Cheers,

Epinn

"Epinn" wrote in message
Hi,

When we click paste, the "paste options" icon appears and we can

choose
"keep source formatting" or "match destination formatting" or ......

Is there another way (other than repasting) to invoke this icon if it
disappears when I hit enter accidentally?

I can probably use format painter or ctrl+shift+c and ctrl+shift+v if

want
to use source formatting. But how, if I want to match destination
formatting without actually selecting the lines and keying in the

font
type
and size. I am looking for a shortcut here.

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Epinn

I'm glad it helped.

Shauna

"Epinn" wrote in message
Hi,

When we click paste, the "paste options" icon appears and we can

choose
"keep source formatting" or "match destination formatting" or ......

Is there another way (other than repasting) to invoke this icon if
it
disappears when I hit enter accidentally?

I can probably use format painter or ctrl+shift+c and ctrl+shift+v
if

want
to use source formatting. But how, if I want to match destination
formatting without actually selecting the lines and keying in the

font
type
and size. I am looking for a shortcut here.

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Odd. When I tested it before posting, I assigned EditPasteOption to a
keystroke. Pressing that keystroke caused the paste options icon to
appear--every time. It did nothing else.

Tonight, it pastes the contents of the clipboard AND displays the paste
options icon.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"Epinn" wrote in message
Hi,

When we click paste, the "paste options" icon appears and we can
choose
"keep source formatting" or "match destination formatting" or ......

Is there another way (other than repasting) to invoke this icon if it
disappears when I hit enter accidentally?

I can probably use format painter or ctrl+shift+c and ctrl+shift+v if
want
to use source formatting. But how, if I want to match destination
formatting without actually selecting the lines and keying in the font
type
and size. I am looking for a shortcut here.

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I just don't see how the Clipboard can be empty. If it is empty, that means
there is nothing to paste. If there is nothing to paste, the paste (regular
or editpasteoption) icon won't even be highlighted.

Appreciate guidance.

Epinn

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
When you first tested, was there anything on the Clipboard?

so
all may benefit.

"Epinn" wrote in message
Hi,

When we click paste, the "paste options" icon appears and we can
choose
"keep source formatting" or "match destination formatting" or

Is there another way (other than repasting) to invoke this icon if

it
disappears when I hit enter accidentally?

I can probably use format painter or ctrl+shift+c and ctrl+shift+v

if
want
to use source formatting. But how, if I want to match destination
formatting without actually selecting the lines and keying in the

font
type
and size. I am looking for a shortcut here.

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

Default I think I have got the paste option button working!!

Herb,

Thank you for pointing me to the right direction in your first post. Today,
I reopened the case because you told me it worked for you the other day. I
have done some experiments and I think I have figured it out. The other
day, I missed one step and that was why it didn't work. You probably missed
the same step that I missed when it didn't work for you subsequently???

Let's say I have clicked the **regular** paste button and the text is pasted
and the paste option icon appears. I choose "keep source formatting" and
hit enter. Oops, I want to change my mind and use "match destination
formatting." At this point, I want to invoke the paste option icon again
but I don't want to paste again. Here is the tricky and important part.

I MUST **HIGHLIGHT** THE PASTED TEXT.

Now, I can click on the EditPasteOption icon that I previously dragged over
from toolscustomizecommandsall commandsEditPasteOption and inserted into
my format toolbar. Viola! I can click "match destination formatting."

Task accomplished i.e. I have invoked the paste option icon after I have
lost it (by hitting enter) **without repasting the text**.

I think the important step of highlighting the text addresses Shauna's
concern about the system remembering what the source formatting is. I tried
NOT to invoke the paste option button as soon as I lost it. Instead, I did
a lot of typing and formatting at another location and came back to the text
in question. I highlighted it and invoked the paste option button. As soon
I did that, the original formatting appeared and the paste options icon also
appeared. Very interesting.

Please correct me if I am wrong. If you think I am on the right track and
you can get it working as well, please let me know and I'll celebrate cause
I finally get something, which I think is **impossible**, to work.

"Epinn" wrote in message
Hi,

When we click paste, the "paste options" icon appears and we can
choose
"keep source formatting" or "match destination formatting" or ......

Is there another way (other than repasting) to invoke this icon if

it
disappears when I hit enter accidentally?

I can probably use format painter or ctrl+shift+c and ctrl+shift+v

if
want
to use source formatting. But how, if I want to match destination
formatting without actually selecting the lines and keying in the

font
type
and size. I am looking for a shortcut here.

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Probably.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"Epinn" wrote in message
Hi,

When we click paste, the "paste options" icon appears and we can
choose
"keep source formatting" or "match destination formatting" or

Is there another way (other than repasting) to invoke this icon if

it
disappears when I hit enter accidentally?

I can probably use format painter or ctrl+shift+c and ctrl+shift+v

if
want
to use source formatting. But how, if I want to match destination
formatting without actually selecting the lines and keying in the

font
type
and size. I am looking for a shortcut here.

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think you're on the right track, although I didn't need to reselect the
text. The key question is: Is it now working the way you want when you want
it to? If the answer to that is Yes, then you've done it!

Cheers,

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com