Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
marcar

Default Where are my fractions created in Word2000 when opened in Word200

Word2000 documents opened in Word2003 do not display fractions. They are
replaced with strange images.

Some one at Dell told me I was out of luck. I can't believe that is right.

I also noticed that when I went to insert 1/3 it was not available under
insert symbol.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
finalword

It's probably due to your font choice. Times New Roman under the Number
Forms subset has 1/3 available. Once you insert it you can create an
Autocorrect or autotext entry for it.

"marcar" wrote:

Word2000 documents opened in Word2003 do not display fractions. They are
replaced with strange images.

Some one at Dell told me I was out of luck. I can't believe that is right.

I also noticed that when I went to insert 1/3 it was not available under
insert symbol.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
marcar

Default Where are my fractions created in Word2000 when opened in Word

HP DeskJet 932C. Another Dell support person called me and said I'd have to
open the documents in Word2000. I don't think that is the solution because I
tried it in the Save As and nothing changed.

The version of Microsoft Office I currently have is the 2003 edition for
Teachers and Students. I wonder if that could be the source of the problem -
I didn't have the teachers version with 2002. It doesn't make sense to me but
that seems to be the only difference I can come up with.

Caron

"marcar" wrote in message
Word2000 documents opened in Word2003 do not display fractions. They are
replaced with strange images.

Some one at Dell told me I was out of luck. I can't believe that is right.

I also noticed that when I went to insert 1/3 it was not available under
insert symbol.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you are using any of the Windows Core Fonts (or most others of recent
vintage) and have "(normal text)" selected in the Insert | Symbol dialog,
you should be able to find the 1/3 fraction at glyph 2153. The font
characters for thirds and eighths are not with the fractions (¼, ½, ¾) that
are present in all fonts.

If fractions inserted in Word 2000 documents are not being displayed
properly in Word 2003, my guess would be that the documents originated in
WordPerfect and the fractions are characters in the WP Typographic Symbols
font, and that font is not installed on the computer you're using. If you
have that character selected when you try to use Insert | Symbol, that could
be part of the problem.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What printer is selected as the active printer in the File | Print

dialog?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"marcar" wrote in message
Word2000 documents opened in Word2003 do not display fractions. They

are
replaced with strange images.

Some one at Dell told me I was out of luck. I can't believe that is

right.

I also noticed that when I went to insert 1/3 it was not available

under
insert symbol.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
marcar

Thanks for the help with 1/3. However, I still have the problem with files
created in Word2000 - no fractions appear; they are replaced with odd
symbols. Can anyone help? I have over 100 files that are affected. Getting
desperate.

marcar

"marcar" wrote:

Word2000 documents opened in Word2003 do not display fractions. They are
replaced with strange images.

Some one at Dell told me I was out of luck. I can't believe that is right.

I also noticed that when I went to insert 1/3 it was not available under
insert symbol.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
marcar

Suzanne, the documents did not originate in WordPerfect. I am puzzled by
this. The only variables a I now have XP and Office (Teachers Edition).
Previously, I ran ME and Works - but I created a shortcut for Word2000 from
Works. I also had more fonts installed but most of the files used Garamond.