maarten lemmens

Default drawing in linked file disappears on update

Hello,

For quite some time, to my great annoyance, I've been
having trouble with drawings and figures in Word, getting
them positioned where I want them. As I'm mostly editing
academic prose, the thing I want is usually quite simple:
position the image somewhere on the page, with text above
and below, and followed by a caption ("Figure 5:
blablabla"). I've noticed that things are easier when I
put my drawings (made by the built-in drawing tool) in a
drawing frame (Insert, New drawing) that has the same
width as the text, and I choose for the layout of the
frame "Advanced" and then "above and below". There are two
recurrent problems that I experience with this:
(1) sometimes, when I want to move the image a bit (for
whatever reason) it either seems to disappear (I can't
find it anywhere anymore) or positions itself at the top
of the page, and I cannot change its position.
(2) recently, another problem has manifested istelf in a
mster document with dynamiqu links to individual chapter
fiels. While all is fine in the individual chapter files,
some of my figures (once again, simple drawings made with
the built-in drawin tool) simply disappear in a master
document. I can put them back in but they disappear after
each update, even after having drilled the changes to the
individual file.

I have no clue as to why this happens and why it only
happens with some figures, and not with others that seem
to have the same formatting.

I need to hand in my document urgently, so any help would
be much appreciated.

Best,
-Maarten.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Maarten,

the thing I want is usually quite simple:
position the image somewhere on the page, with text above
and below, and followed by a caption ("Figure 5:
blablabla").

Word 2002 or 2003, right?

What about if you
- right-click the Drawing object
- choose "format" command
- in the Layout tab, select the "in line with the text"
option

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun
8 2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)