Kimmie B

Default template styles not applying correctly to document

I've made a template that seems to work nicely, but when I apply it to a
document, the styles in the document take on a life of their own. They do not
match the styles in the template.

Specifically, in the document to which I applied the template, some numbered
styles show up with bullets, some styles that had no bullets in the template
now mysteriously have bullets, and the indenting is wrong for many styles.

On both the template and the target document, the "Automatically Update
Document Styles" option is selected.

Most of the troublesome styles (but not all) are in a customized outline
numbered list. Could that be the problem?

Also, the document is fairly large (about 30 pages, lots of tables but very
few graphics). Could that be the problem?

As always, I remain grateful to the voices of experience who answer my
questions.

Shauna Kelly

Hi Kimmie

Answers in-line.

On both the template and the target document, the "Automatically Update
Document Styles" option is selected.

This is not recommended. Specifically, it is known to cause problems with
numbered and bulleted styles and this is exactly what you're experiencing.

Most of the troublesome styles (but not all) are in a customized outline
numbered list. Could that be the problem?

Yes.

Also, the document is fairly large (about 30 pages, lots of tables but

very
few graphics). Could that be the problem?

Unlikely.

For information about attaching a template to a document see
What happens when I attach a new template to my document? or How do I copy
content and settings from a template to a document?
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html

For information on copying styles from a template to a document see
How to safely update a document's styles from its template without using the
Organizer (and how to make the Tools + Templates and Add-ins dialog safe)
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...dateStyles.htm

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If you don't get an answer here, repost in
microsoft.public.word.numbering,
as problems of this type tend to affect mostly numbered/bulleted styles.

so
all may benefit.

"Kimmie B" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

Also, take a look at: How to create numbered headings or outline numbering
in your Word document
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. (For
bullets see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html, the
subject is related.)

This is based on ...

Word's Numbering Explained
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...gExplained.htm

Additional information you may find useful or need is at:

How to Create a Template, Part II
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

--
Charles Kenyon