Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paddy[_2_] Paddy[_2_] is offline

Default Style modifications added to Template

Using Word 2002 on XP Prof.

I have a document that when I modify an existing Style (eg Heading 3 make
small caps), that modified style gets added to the Styles drop-down in the
document (but not on new blank docs).

I need to send this document to a client.

(a) How can I clean up the extraneous styles?
(b) How can I tell Word to stop doing that?

See screenshots of Blank Doc and Problem Doc he

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~padd...dingStyles.doc

Thanks

Paddy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you actually modifying the style or just adding formatting? If the
latter, then clearing the "Keep track of formatting" box on the Edit tab of
Tools | Options will clear the Heading 3 + "style." If what you're saying is
that you want the changes you make to a style to be written back to the
template, then you need to check the "Add to template" box in the Modify
Style dialog, but this will affect the template only on your own machine,
not anyone else's. The style modifications will, however, travel with the
document. See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html

"Paddy" wrote in message
Using Word 2002 on XP Prof.

I have a document that when I modify an existing Style (eg Heading 3 make
small caps), that modified style gets added to the Styles drop-down in the
document (but not on new blank docs).

I need to send this document to a client.

(a) How can I clean up the extraneous styles?
(b) How can I tell Word to stop doing that?

See screenshots of Blank Doc and Problem Doc he

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~padd...dingStyles.doc

Thanks

Paddy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paddy[_2_] Paddy[_2_] is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" :

Are you actually modifying the style or just adding formatting? If the
latter, then clearing the "Keep track of formatting" box on the Edit tab
of
Tools | Options will clear the Heading 3 + "style."

That's it. Thanks, Suzanne. I'll check it out.

Paddy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paddy[_2_] Paddy[_2_] is offline

Thanks, Suzanne.

That was exactly the issue, and the solution. All Hail MVPs !!!!!!

Paddy

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Are you actually modifying the style or just adding formatting? If the
latter, then clearing the "Keep track of formatting" box on the Edit tab
of
Tools | Options will clear the Heading 3 + "style." If what you're saying
is
that you want the changes you make to a style to be written back to the
template, then you need to check the "Add to template" box in the Modify
Style dialog, but this will affect the template only on your own machine,
not anyone else's. The style modifications will, however, travel with the
document. See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html

so
all may benefit.

"Paddy" wrote in message
Using Word 2002 on XP Prof.

I have a document that when I modify an existing Style (eg Heading 3 make
small caps), that modified style gets added to the Styles drop-down in
the
document (but not on new blank docs).

I need to send this document to a client.

(a) How can I clean up the extraneous styles?
(b) How can I tell Word to stop doing that?

See screenshots of Blank Doc and Problem Doc he

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~padd...dingStyles.doc

Thanks

Paddy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

[...]