Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ejdc ejdc is offline

Default email merge does not send

I recently had problems with McAfee which have finally been solved. However,
now when I use mail merge wizard to send an email everything works until I
hit send, then nothing happens. Also I can not access Word when trying to
mail merge from another software program.
This is really holding me up at work. Everything worked fine until the
McAfee guys had me install Security Suite 8 and ran some program to clear up
whatever was the problem with that.
Any idea what's going on and how I can get back to mail merging again? The
McAfee guys aren't answering me!
Using Word 2002 as part of Office.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I've seen reports of mails disappearing (which is nearly the same thing as
you describe) but I've never seen a surefire explanation. Some things you
can look at/try
a. can you still use the appropriate Word File|Send To option to send a
single non-mailmerge word file?
b. are you mailmerging using HTML format? If so, can you try a small
experiment using merge as plain text or with an attachment? If you see the
security dialogs that Outlook pops up, that at least tells us that Word is
trying to do something and Outlook is trying to respond.
c. does your copy of Outlook have any COM Addins installed? See Outlook
Tools|Options|Other|Advanced Options|COM Addins. If so, can you establish
whether or not it is OK to disable them temporarily, then try doing that and
see if that makes any difference?
d. It may be worth running the Outlook data file repair utility called
scanpst.exe. On my system it's in

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033

e. as long as you have your Office XP CDs, you can try a Check and Repair.
(Personally, I'd always try to avoid a full re-install but I suppose it may
come to that - and you might end up re-installing everything, Windows,
McAfee, the lot).

I doubt if I'll have any ideas beyond that, but if you do find the solution,
it would probably help others if you could post it back here.

Good luck!

Peter Jamieson

"ejdc" wrote in message
I recently had problems with McAfee which have finally been solved.
However,
now when I use mail merge wizard to send an email everything works until I
hit send, then nothing happens. Also I can not access Word when trying to
mail merge from another software program.
This is really holding me up at work. Everything worked fine until the
McAfee guys had me install Security Suite 8 and ran some program to clear
up
whatever was the problem with that.
Any idea what's going on and how I can get back to mail merging again? The
McAfee guys aren't answering me!
Using Word 2002 as part of Office.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ejdc ejdc is offline

Thanks, Peter.
The "Detect and Repair" worked - fortunately my predecessor did keep the
original CDs.
Regards,
Elspeth.