richards

Default how to have no page numbers on pages

Thanks for answering my first question. the problem is that when I followed
the instructions I can't get it to work. I have a document that I want the
first two pages not to number. I view header footer, then click page setup
button, I check the different first page box, you see that you now have a
separate first page header and footer. Then I check this section only. then
the instructions say I can leave them empty and there will be no page number
on that page. I do this for the second page as well. Then on the third page,
I go to page setup and do the same thing except I choose from this point
forward. I then go to format page number and check start with 1. I then hit
insert page number. the third page starts with 1 and continues through the
document with the correct page numbers. the problem is that when I have done
all this, it will also put page number in my first two pages. How do I stop
the first two pages from automatically number. Help someone. I know I must
be doing something really stupid for it not to be working like it says it
should.

For documents omitting page numbers on more than the first page, you need a
section break. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm for details.
Note that, while it is not necessary to unlink sections to restart numbering
or
change the number format, it *is* necessary to unlink them if you want to
leave a header/footer blank.

"richards" wrote in message
news
[...]

richards

Thank you so much. The key was the linking. Once I did that I was able to
have two pages at the front of the document with no page numbers and then
start numbering on the third page all the way through the document. Your
help to new users is invaluable.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

For documents omitting page numbers on more than the first page, you need a
section break. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm for details.
Note that, while it is not necessary to unlink sections to restart numbering
or
change the number format, it *is* necessary to unlink them if you want to
leave a header/footer blank.

news