Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How to automatically turn on and off the document map.

I'm creating a set of work instructions and I'm trying to decide if I
want to use the document map feature in Word 2003. I want the users to
be able to open the instructions document and view the Document Map
automatically without having them go to View/Document Map. And when
they close the document I want to automatically turn off the Document
Map so that when they open another word doc it won't open in Document
Map. Is there a way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

To a certain extent, the display of the document map seems to be
associated with the view (just like the zoom ratio is), but I suspect
that you need auto macros to accomplish what you want. You may want to
ask in a programming newsgroup for confirmation, though.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm creating a set of work instructions and I'm trying to decide if
want to use the document map feature in Word 2003. I want the users
be able to open the instructions document and view the Document Map
automatically without having them go to View/Document Map. And when
they close the document I want to automatically turn off the
Document
Map so that when they open another word doc it won't open in
Document
Map. Is there a way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Stefan Blom wrote:
To a certain extent, the display of the document map seems to be
associated with the view (just like the zoom ratio is), but I suspect
that you need auto macros to accomplish what you want. You may want to
ask in a programming newsgroup for confirmation, though.

I was able to put a line of code in the Document_Open and
Document_Close events and sort of got it to work. The problem is that
if you have your macro security set to high (which is the default) Word
ignores the code. So I gave up. I'm just going to tell the users that
they need to click View/Document Map manually.

Thanks for the info!

Chuck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Adding the macro to the normal.dot template and then specifying (in
the Security dialog box) that Word should trust all installed
templates and add-ins would fix that problem.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message