Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cayce cayce is offline

Default can PDF files be combined?

Is there a way to insert pages in Word 2007 generated PDF pages? We sometimes
need to add in a large D size drawing into proposals. Our CAD dept creates
the pdf for us, but we'd like to insert it within the pages of the proposal
created in Word 2007. Can this be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

You need a pdf creating program that allows that. Acrobat can do it as can
PrimoPDF. I assume others can too.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"cayce" wrote in message
Is there a way to insert pages in Word 2007 generated PDF pages? We
sometimes
need to add in a large D size drawing into proposals. Our CAD dept
creates
the pdf for us, but we'd like to insert it within the pages of the
proposal
created in Word 2007. Can this be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julie Armstrong Julie Armstrong is offline

If you have the full version of adobe, you can convert the PDF to a tif
file. Do file save as, Tif

Then insert the tifs as pictures into Word.

(this works in the Word 2003)

"cayce" wrote in message
Is there a way to insert pages in Word 2007 generated PDF pages? We
sometimes
need to add in a large D size drawing into proposals. Our CAD dept
creates
the pdf for us, but we'd like to insert it within the pages of the
proposal
created in Word 2007. Can this be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cayce cayce is offline

thanks to all who responded. It appears the answer is no; the PDF creation
that Word does will not allow combining separate PDFs into a single file.

I do have Acrobat and use it all the time. It is my coworkers I was
inquiring for who do not have this tool who will welcome the news they can
now generate their own pdf files.

It seems like I read something about downloading a plug-in from Microsoft to
make this available. I'll have to research a bit to give them that
information.

thanks again.

"cayce" wrote in message
Is there a way to insert pages in Word 2007 generated PDF pages? We
sometimes
need to add in a large D size drawing into proposals. Our CAD dept
creates
the pdf for us, but we'd like to insert it within the pages of the
proposal
created in Word 2007. Can this be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Microsoft doesn't have anything to combine .pdf files.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"cayce" wrote in message
Is there a way to insert pages in Word 2007 generated PDF pages? We
sometimes
need to add in a large D size drawing into proposals. Our CAD dept
creates
the pdf for us, but we'd like to insert it within the pages of the
proposal
created in Word 2007. Can this be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cayce cayce is offline

Hi JoAnn:

Sorry, I was not clear on my last post. I now recognize that MS doesn't have
tool to combine the pdf files. What I was glad to learn about was the plug-in
for office 2007 that allows pdf creation at all. This is the good news I was
referring to.

thanks again.

"cayce" wrote in message
Is there a way to insert pages in Word 2007 generated PDF pages? We
sometimes
need to add in a large D size drawing into proposals. Our CAD dept
creates
the pdf for us, but we'd like to insert it within the pages of the
proposal
created in Word 2007. Can this be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Cayce,

You didn't mention the format of the D size drawing that you receive. If it's in PDF, you can use one of the PDF tools or PDF
printers as Graham mentioned, or if it's a single page PDF you can use Insert=Object=Create from file, to link the PDF into the
Word document prior to creating your new PDF in Word 2007 with the 'Save as PDF' add-in.

As Julie mentioned, if the drawing is in or can be converted into a graphic, such as a TIF, that can also be added to Word through
Insert=Picture, or using a Picture Content Control in Word 2007.

One issue with working with a large scale format item in Word though, is whether you need to keep the original document size intact.
If so, then Word won't be able to help you with the D-Size drawing. Word's max page size is 22"w x 22"h. Depending on which scale
you're going by for drafting (ANSI or other) a D-size would be 24"x36" or 22"x34"

If you combine the PDF files with the D-Size at D-Size it can also make for some unexpected viewing behaviors depending on the Adobe
Reader setting for showing page scaled and you have a combination of the D-Size and letter size both on screen g.

=============
"cayce" wrote in message ...
thanks to all who responded. It appears the answer is no; the PDF creation
that Word does will not allow combining separate PDFs into a single file.

I do have Acrobat and use it all the time. It is my coworkers I was
inquiring for who do not have this tool who will welcome the news they can
now generate their own pdf files.

It seems like I read something about downloading a plug-in from Microsoft to
make this available. I'll have to research a bit to give them that
information.

thanks again.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Subu Subu is offline

On Jul 16, 12:45 am, cayce
wrote:

Is there a way to insert pages in Word 2007
generated PDF pages? We sometimes need to
add in a large D size drawing into
proposals. Our CAD dept creates the pdf for
us, but we'd like to insert it within the
pages of the proposal created in Word 2007.
Can this be done?

I'm trying to rephrase the question as follows :

Is it possible to combine a few PDF pages ?

Answer : Yes.

Let us say you have the following files

1. Page1.pdf - a pdf file with the first page of your intended output

2. Page2-3-4.DOC - a MS word file with the next three pages of your
intended output

3. page5.pdf - a PDF file with the fifth page of your intended ....

4. page_6.xls - an Xl file with the last page of your intended output

Download Primopdf from http://www.primopdf.com/

A free (probably ad-ware) version is available

Once installed, Primopdf works like a printer

After installing Primopdf, start printing the above files

Open page1.pdf in PDF reader and print page1.pdf. In the printer
selection select primopdf and when the file naming is asked for save
it as say "output.pdf"

Open Page2-3-4.DOC in Ms word and print Page2-3-4.DOC. In the printer
selection select primopdf and when the file naming is asked for save
it as say "output.pdf". Now Primo would ask should the file be
overwritten or appended. Choose append

Proceed this way till you acheive desired output

Hope this helps

regards

Subu