Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alex A Alex A is offline

Default Can you wrap text in a Table of Contents (TOC)?

I am using Word 2003 and the Table of Contents is based on Heading Styles.
My problem is that some of the headings are extremely long, which pushes the
page number to the next line. I'm wondering if there is a way to have the
text wrap before the page number, like this:
3.1.1 Random mating habits of unusual
people............................................ ...89
3.1.2 The politics of dancing, while under the moonlight, after eating a
hamburger with raw onions and cheese 103

Is such a thing possible? If not, is there a work-around (besides changing
the text, which is not an option, unfortunately).

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes. Give the TOC style a right indent, leaving the tab stop for the page
number at the right margin. For this and other tips, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

"Alex A" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003 and the Table of Contents is based on Heading Styles.
My problem is that some of the headings are extremely long, which pushes

the
page number to the next line. I'm wondering if there is a way to have the
text wrap before the page number, like this:
3.1.1 Random mating habits of unusual
people............................................ ...89
3.1.2 The politics of dancing, while under the moonlight, after eating a
hamburger with raw onions and cheese 103

Is such a thing possible? If not, is there a work-around (besides

changing
the text, which is not an option, unfortunately).

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Always glad to help someone else look good. g

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Yes. Give the TOC style a right indent, leaving the tab stop for the

page
number at the right margin. For this and other tips, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.