Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve[_13_] Steve[_13_] is offline

Default Insert date

Is there a way to customize the Insert Date function? I want the
format to look like this:

Tues 3/11/09

Thanks!

--

To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes
may be the biggest mistake of all.

....Peter McWilliams
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

Do you really want Tues or Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun, which are more
common abbreviations and for which you can use

{ Date \@ "ddd M/d/yy" }

There is however no switch that would give you Mond, Tues, Wedn, Thur, Frid,
Satu, Sund

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Steve" wrote in message
Is there a way to customize the Insert Date function? I want the
format to look like this:

Tues 3/11/09

Thanks!

--

To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes
may be the biggest mistake of all.

...Peter McWilliams

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In the Insert | Date dialog, you can choose your default date format. In
order to make the format you suggest available, you may have to have this
selected as your default Short Date format in Windows Regional and Language
Options.

Alternatively, if you are using a DATE field, you can add a time/date
formatting switch to result in that format and save the field as an AutoText
entry.

http://word.mvps.org

"Steve" wrote in message
Is there a way to customize the Insert Date function? I want the
format to look like this:

Tues 3/11/09

Thanks!

--

To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes
may be the biggest mistake of all.

...Peter McWilliams

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could insert the date with a macro e.g. the following will insert the
days as
Mon
Tues
Wed
Thurs
Fri
Sat
Sun

Dim sDay As String
sDay = format(Date, "dddd")
Select Case sDay
Case Is = "Monday", "Wednesday", "Friday", "Saturday", "Sunday"
sDay = format(Date, "ddd")
Case Is = "Tuesday"
sDay = Left(sDay, 4)
Case Is = "Thursday"
sDay = Left(sDay, 5)
End Select
With Selection
.TypeText sDay & Chr(160)
.InsertDateTime DateTimeFormat:="M/d/yy", InsertAsField:=False
End With

Steve wrote:
Is there a way to customize the Insert Date function? I want the
format to look like this:

Tues 3/11/09

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve[_13_] Steve[_13_] is offline

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com"
Do you really want Tues or Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun, which are more
common abbreviations and for which you can use
{ Date \@ "ddd M/d/yy" }

Thanks Doug, that's the format I'm looking for. But I'm not sure how
to use this formula - in a macro?

--

To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes
may be the biggest mistake of all.

....Peter McWilliams

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

In a macro, use

Format(Date, "ddd M/d/yy")

--

"Steve" wrote in message
"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com"
Do you really want Tues or Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun, which are
more
common abbreviations and for which you can use
{ Date \@ "ddd M/d/yy" }

Thanks Doug, that's the format I'm looking for. But I'm not sure how
to use this formula - in a macro?

--

To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes
may be the biggest mistake of all.

...Peter McWilliams

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

No, it's just a field. Press Ctrl+F9 to insert the field (which will be
displayed at { }), then type the text between the braces.

http://word.mvps.org

"Steve" wrote in message
"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com"
Do you really want Tues or Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun, which are
more
common abbreviations and for which you can use
{ Date \@ "ddd M/d/yy" }

Thanks Doug, that's the format I'm looking for. But I'm not sure how
to use this formula - in a macro?

--

To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes
may be the biggest mistake of all.

...Peter McWilliams

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve[_13_] Steve[_13_] is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
No, it's just a field. Press Ctrl+F9 to insert the field (which will be
displayed at { }), then type the text between the braces.

I end up with this: { Date \@ "ddd M/d/yy" }

But it doesn't convert to anything, looks like I'm still doing it
wrong. Sigh...

--

To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes
may be the biggest mistake of all.

....Peter McWilliams
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, you then have to F9 to update (and Alt+F9 if necessary to toggle the
field display). Alternatively, you can type Date \@ "ddd M/d/yy", select it,
and press Ctrl+F9, then F9.

http://word.mvps.org