Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Darin Darin is offline

Default merge 2000 word dociments

Hi, I have about 2,000 word documents with different number of pages each
(not more than 3). I need to sort them and merge all the docs that are one
page each in to one word document, all the docs that are two pages to merge
in another word document and the tree page documents to merge in to third
document.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The first question must be why?
The second must be how do you want them combining? Do you want a section
break between each document?
How are you going to identify them? Merely on the basis that they have one
two or three pages? The concept of 'page' is rather vague in Word and is
determined by the text flow in relation to font size and the current printer
driver.
Then I suppose you will want to choose the order in which they are combined?
How are you to determine that?
What has any of this to do with mail merge?
In the first instance have a look at the boiler.dot add-in you can download
from my web site, which will combine documents with or without a break in
the order you select them. If you want a different solution, we would need a
lot more information to suggest an approach.

Darin wrote:
Hi, I have about 2,000 word documents with different number of pages
each (not more than 3). I need to sort them and merge all the docs
that are one page each in to one word document, all the docs that are
two pages to merge in another word document and the tree page
documents to merge in to third document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Darin Darin is offline

Thank you,
my answers as follows:
Those are letters which I'm sending to company to print and put in
envelopes, they have a machine which can be instructed to print and pack each
page of the big document into one envelope or to be instructed to print and
pack each two pages (or three) in one envelope. My problem is that my
software generates each letter in a differnd word file and I first cannot
find which document how many pages includes to sort them and then when sorted
how to merge those.
I want them in three different files, and each letter within the files to
begin from new page.
I do not know how to identify them.
I have put it in mail merge by mistake.

Darin wrote:
Hi, I have about 2,000 word documents with different number of pages
each (not more than 3). I need to sort them and merge all the docs
that are one page each in to one word document, all the docs that are
two pages to merge in another word document and the tree page
documents to merge in to third document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields,microsoft.public.word.vba.general
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default merge 2000 word documents

It would have made things a lot simpler had you used Word to mail merge to a
new document, which could have produced a document containing all the one,
two, or three page letters, based on your address data source. This would
also take account of the problems that are going to occur if you try and
combine the documents you have already created - especially if they are
based on different templates. If you have that data source, it would be
simpler to modify the three types of letters and run three merges to new
documents.

I have experimented with evaluating how many pages are in documents, which
entails opening and checking before deciding what to do with them, and so
far those results have not been reliable enough for this application. I have
therefore crossposted this thread to the vba general forum to see if it
arouses anyone's curiosity.

Darin wrote:
Thank you,
my answers as follows:
Those are letters which I'm sending to company to print and put in
envelopes, they have a machine which can be instructed to print and
pack each page of the big document into one envelope or to be
instructed to print and pack each two pages (or three) in one
envelope. My problem is that my software generates each letter in a
different word file and I first cannot find which document how many