Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cls cls is offline

Default Style, LOTS OF STYLE!

My computer workstation is loaded with styles from previous employees. It is
quite obvious that they knew even less than I do about the use of styles. I
would like to organize/manage this list. Probably 100's!
Any way that I can get rid of some of these in one fell swoop?
Any way to easily "see" what makes each of them different?
Any site that I can visit to get a better understanding. So far - I do not
like this feature.
Turn it off possible?
Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Perhaps the simplest thing would be to start afresh by deleting the existing
Normal.dot file and allowing Word to create a new one (this happens
automatically). That way, you would begin with just Word's built-in styles,
which you can use as-needed. The problem with using someone else's is that
you don't necessarily know why they were created or even if they are the
most efficient/effective way to get the most out of Word.

For more about styles, a little reading would probably help. For starters,
you might find this to be helpful:

http://word.mvps.org/Tutorials/index.htm

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
"cls" wrote in message
My computer workstation is loaded with styles from previous employees. It
is
quite obvious that they knew even less than I do about the use of styles.
would like to organize/manage this list. Probably 100's!
Any way that I can get rid of some of these in one fell swoop?
Any way to easily "see" what makes each of them different?
Any site that I can visit to get a better understanding. So far - I do
not
like this feature.
Turn it off possible?
Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bman342 bman342 is offline

Thanks, Herb. In all my years using Word, probably the single most
frutstating and least intuitive thing for me (and I would be willing to bet,
for many others) is the Styles and Formatting. I am dedicating this weekend
to trying to master styles/formatting. Or at least having it not master me.

-b

"cls" wrote in message
My computer workstation is loaded with styles from previous employees. It
is
quite obvious that they knew even less than I do about the use of styles.
would like to organize/manage this list. Probably 100's!
Any way that I can get rid of some of these in one fell swoop?
Any way to easily "see" what makes each of them different?
Any site that I can visit to get a better understanding. So far - I do
not
like this feature.
Turn it off possible?
Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You may want to take a look at this article:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/sfpa...ttingPane.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"cls" wrote in message
My computer workstation is loaded with styles from previous employees.
It
is
quite obvious that they knew even less than I do about the use of
styles.
would like to organize/manage this list. Probably 100's!
Any way that I can get rid of some of these in one fell swoop?
Any way to easily "see" what makes each of them different?
Any site that I can visit to get a better understanding. So far - I do
not
like this feature.
Turn it off possible?
Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cls cls is offline

Thanks Herb! Starting fresh is certainly a good thing. That does help alot.
Still don't like it! May have to do some more reading to become convinced
that having this option it is a good thing!
Question for bman342 - who is the master? I'm with you on the frustration
part. Keep me posted.

"cls" wrote in message
My computer workstation is loaded with styles from previous employees. It
is
quite obvious that they knew even less than I do about the use of styles.
would like to organize/manage this list. Probably 100's!
Any way that I can get rid of some of these in one fell swoop?
Any way to easily "see" what makes each of them different?
Any site that I can visit to get a better understanding. So far - I do
not
like this feature.
Turn it off possible?
Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Using styles at the very least for different levels of headings (Heading 1,
Heading 2, etc.) gives you power and leverage and easy access to powerful
organizational tools (outlining, automatic table of contents, etc.). So,
even if you don't use distinct styles for each and every little thing, using
them for the big picture in documents is very useful. When doing
numbering/bullets, using styles can help prevent non-numbered/bulleted text
from suddenly acquiring numbers/bullets.

If you start simply and add complexity only when/if you need it, you will
end up understanding where you are at the end of the process. That's why
going back to square one is really useful. It also helps you to better
understand what Word itself does versus what a previous user did.

Cheers,

--

"cls" wrote in message
My computer workstation is loaded with styles from previous employees.
It
is
quite obvious that they knew even less than I do about the use of
styles.
would like to organize/manage this list. Probably 100's!
Any way that I can get rid of some of these in one fell swoop?
Any way to easily "see" what makes each of them different?
Any site that I can visit to get a better understanding. So far - I do
not
like this feature.
Turn it off possible?
Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cls cls is offline

Herb - I'm sure you are right - I do believe most of my frustration lies in
the "what Word itself does versus what a previous user did". Still trying
to work out my frustration. Plan to do the homework this w/end. Most
thankfull for help!