Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rahul Rahul is offline

Default How to insert a postscript into MSWORD. Or is PDF a better option?

Hi,

I usually use a Linux app. "gnuplot" to make my figures which are produced
as postscript format files. (*.ps)

I have native ps t pdf conversion too by using ps2pdf on Linux.

What's the best way to get these images into Word? What are my options? Is
there any that minimizes the quality loss by retaining as much of the vector
info. as possible?

-Rahul
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Rahul

Rahul wrote:
I usually use a Linux app. "gnuplot" to make my figures which are produced
as postscript format files. (*.ps)

directly, Word is unable to do anything meaningful to/with PostScript data.

I have native ps t pdf conversion too by using ps2pdf on Linux.

No good, at least last time I checked.

What's the best way to get these images into Word? What are my options? Is
there any that minimizes the quality loss by retaining as much of the vector
info. as possible?

Depends. Postscript is not per se vector (can be raster as well). First
question: what is the ultimate target of the document -- printer (what
kind), or HTML, PDF, etc.?

If you print to a PostScript printer (driver), I'd search for ways to
convert the PS to EPS (Encapsulated PostScript). You can insert these
into Word as pictures. Word will not _display_ them (it should display a
TIFF preview if one is included in the EPS), but it will print the true
EPS when, well, you print to a PostScript printer driver. If PDF is your
goal, then I guess for example AdobeDistiller would be able to translate
the EPS as well.

If that's no option, then I would look for converters PS(-EPS)-WMF or
(preferably) EMF. That's the sort of multi-purpose vector/raster format
most windows apps are supposed to be comfortable with.

Given there were computer systems well over 15 years ago who were
working with DisplayPostScript, it's pretty sad that we're not on better
levels with this format nowadays ... :-/

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rahul Rahul is offline

Default How to insert a postscript into MSWORD. Or is PDF a better opt

Thanks Robert! What worked best for me is:

gnuplot- eps
Insert eps in word.

Appears real crappy but prints great to my postscript printer. And makes for
a good pdf too. Scales well. No font screwups.

I just wish word added better eps on-screen rendering capabilities than its
low quality tiff preview.

It's beyond me why Microsoft insists on using the wmf when the ps / eps are
far more portable and common formats!

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello Rahul

Rahul wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Rahul,

If the EPSImp32.flt filter is installed with the newer versions of Word, and the EPS level matches what Word can use then Word
basically no longer uses a preview that is in the EPS file, but generates its own.

FWIW, the MS developers seem to have not really been fond of EPS and have gone through a few 'ideas' of their own for other formats
EPS within Office documents is not as common as in scientific,graphic and engineering applications.

============
"Rahul" wrote in message ...
Thanks Robert! What worked best for me is:

gnuplot- eps
Insert eps in word.

Appears real crappy but prints great to my postscript printer. And makes for
a good pdf too. Scales well. No font screwups.

I just wish word added better eps on-screen rendering capabilities than its
low quality tiff preview.

It's beyond me why Microsoft insists on using the wmf when the ps / eps are far more portable and common formats!
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Bob

Bob Buckland ?:-) wrote:
If the EPSImp32.flt filter is installed with the newer versions of Word, and the EPS level matches what Word can use then Word
basically no longer uses a preview that is in the EPS file, but generates its own.

that's great news!

Is this filter installed with a "full" installation of Word 2003 and
2007? A feature of Word, or Office? Oh, wait, first gotta look ...
Bingo, found it in

\Program Files\Shared\Microsoft SharedGRPHFLT

Rahul, what version have you got? Can you find the filter as well?

FWIW, the MS developers seem to have not really been fond of EPS and have gone through a few 'ideas' of their own for other formats
EPS within Office documents is not as common as in scientific,graphic and engineering applications.

I hear ya! Hen and egg problem ... ;-)

Thanks, and greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rahul Rahul is offline

Hi Bob and Robert;

Problem is I'm using the older MS Word 2003. The filter it has
"EPS32imp.flt" seems to be the older one. I checked by a simple test:

If I use adobe to save an image as a eps it has a tick box to tell it
whether or not to embed a preview image. In case I do not embed one I see a
blank square post import in word. But on printing to a pdf or a postscript
printer the image is recovered. {Already played this "magic" prank on a few
people here! ;-) hard to resist "printing" from an empty page!}

Anyways, I now found a newer PC with the snappy Office2007. I dont think I
like that new verisons GUI much so for now I'm "borrowing" its graphics
filters and lets see how that goes!

Glad to get all these advanced tips from you MVPs! If u guys weren't around
I guess I'd have abandoned the Microsoft ship long ago! The convinience of
eps is far too great to abandon. I'm sick of importing ppt and excel figures
into word and then word screwing up my font sizes. I guess a workaround is to
insert them as "images". But then on subsequent resizing I get awfully
pixellated stuff.

-Rahul

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello Bob