cayce

Default table of contents not updating correctly

I use outline numbering for headings. When I update the table of contents
that is referring back to my heading levels, some, not all, of the heading
level 3 will not update to include the outline number they have. I get just
the text the heading uses. What's weird is it doesn't happen to all the level
3 headings, just a couple. It looks like this
1. First Heading, 1st level
1.2 Second Heading, 2nd level
1.2.1 Third Heading, 3rd level
1.2.2 Fourth Heading, 3rd level
Fifth Heading, 3rd level (should include outline
number 1.2.3)
1.2.4 Sixth Heading, 3rd level
Seventh Heading, 3rd level (should include outline number
1.2.5)
1.2.6 Eight Heading, 3rd level

As you can see, the outline numbering sequences properly on headings that
follow the headings where the outline number is missing.

I have gone to those individual headings in the text and deleted them,
changed the style to normal, retyped the heading name, then reapplied the
heading 3 style it should have. I then go back to the TOC page, right click
and choose update entire table of contents. I still do not get the outline
number along with the heading text.

Any ideas on how to resolve this? I am running Windows XP and Word 97.

thanks
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Y2F5Y2U=?=,

I vaguely seem to recall this issue... Do you have anything except the heading
text in these paragraphs? Index entries (XE fields) or graphics anchors?

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

A header is something that appears at the top of every page. When you View |
Header and Footer, Word opens the header pane, which contains a paragraph in
Header style. A TOC will never pick up anything from a header; because by
definition it appears on every page, it cannot have a page number. Headings,
for TOC purposes, are paragraph styles that have been assigned an outline
level from 1 to 9 (that is, anything other than Body Text). Which headings
the TOC picks up depends on the number of levels you select and which styles
you specifically select in the TOC Options. By default, a TOC picks up
levels 1-3, which includes Headings 1-3, Title, Subtitle, and a few other
styles. Level 1 is presented in TOC 1 style, level 2 in TOC 2, and so forth.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)