Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
livetohike livetohike is offline

Default Insert image does not retain Image quality

Hello,
I have tried inserting a jpg, gif, and bmp into a Word doc (via Insert/
Image) and they all look worse than the original when viewed side by
side on my monitor.

Anything I can do about this?

What format does Word use to store inserted images?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi livetohike,

The difference in appearance is probably due to a mismatch between the image dimensions and the scaling used to show it in Word.
Unless it's for on-screen use only, what really matters is whether the printed output is of sufficient quality.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"livetohike" wrote in message ...
Hello,
I have tried inserting a jpg, gif, and bmp into a Word doc (via Insert/
Image) and they all look worse than the original when viewed side by
side on my monitor.

Anything I can do about this?

What format does Word use to store inserted images?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Mar 26, 6:32 pm, "macropod" wrote:
Hilivetohike,

The difference in appearance is probably due to a mismatch between the image dimensions and the scaling used to show it in Word.
Unless it's for on-screen use only, what really matters is whether the printed output is of sufficient quality.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]
-------------------------

"livetohike" wrote in ...
Hello,
I have tried inserting a jpg, gif, and bmp into a Word doc (via Insert/
Image) and they all look worse than the original when viewed side by
side on my monitor.

Anything I can do about this?

What format does Word use to store inserted images?

Thanks

This is mostly for on-screen.
Can you point me to something that explains how Word scales/handles
pasting images?

I played w/ it for an hour by copying images from various sources and
pasting them into Word as pictures, but saw no rhyme or reason to how
it works.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi livetohike,

I can't point you to anything specific, but I imagine what you're seeing is the aliasing & moiré effects you can get with on-screen
images in any graphics display program where the the image is being scaled to a size that can't easily be aligned with the screen
pixels. You can probably minimise this by examining the original image's dimensions and scaling it in Word to a size that gives an
exact multiple of image pixels to screen pixels. Even after doing that, though, viewing the document with a different scaling or on
other monitors with different resolutions is liable to reintroduce the same aliasing & moiré issues.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Mar 27, 6:34 pm, "macropod" wrote:
[...]

Thanks, not sure I get all that. Seems like the same graphic on the
same monitor should display identically, but I think what you are
saying is that the application doing the displaying can have an affect
as well even if the graphic stored within the documents is bit for bit
identical.

I still don't understand when you say Word 'scales' the image. Why
does it scale it? Seems like it should maintain the original size.

I pasted a small gif from Photoshop to Word and then back again (from
Word to Photo) and the image definitely changed, so I still think Word
is changing the image itself, not just the way it displays it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi livetohike,

Seems like the same graphic on the same monitor should
display identically, but I think what you are saying is that the
application doing the displaying can have an affect as well even
if the graphic stored within the documents is bit for bit identical.

Correct, but the image also has to be displayed at exactly the same size too.

I still don't understand when you say Word 'scales' the image. Why
does it scale it? Seems like it should maintain the original size.

Word scales the image the fit the space you've given it. If you've got a 3000*2000 pixel image, and you give it a 9*6cm size in
Word, then Word has to scale the image to that (ie 333.33 pixels/cm). And then, on top of that, you'll display the image at some
degree of magnification on-screen (eg page width or 100%) using a monitor whose resolution is nothing like that of the image.

I pasted a small gif from Photoshop to Word and then back again (from
Word to Photo) and the image definitely changed, so I still think Word
is changing the image itself, not just the way it displays it.

That's probably because, when you paste a GIF image into Word, Word converts it to jpg or png (I can't remember which). If you
pasted the image into Word as a link instead, that conversion wouldn't take place - Word would simply reference the image on disk
for display & printing purposes. Of course, if you copy the image displayed on screen (regardless of which method you've used to
insert the image into Word), that's what you'll get - the on-screen representation, not the original.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] imahumdinger57@gmail.com is offline

I've worked extensively with this issue. It helps if you use Paste Special and select a bitmap than if you do a direct paste. I've also found that inserting an object (PDF) results in terrible quality, but if you use the snip tool in accessories, the quality is much better. If you have Adobe Pro, you also have the option of using the snapshot (camera) tool. Start with a large on-screen magnification if you are using either the snip tool or snapshot tool; the number of pixels makes a huge difference.

Finally, right click on the image to get the options box and select "Sharpen" if you can. This is not an option will all types of images, but it can help. It takes some experimentation to get the best image.
Hope this is helpful!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Sep 27, 10:35*am, wrote:
I've worked extensively with this issue. It helps if you use Paste Special and select a bitmap than if you do a direct paste. I've also found that inserting an object (PDF) results in terrible quality, but if you use the snip tool in accessories, the quality is much better. If you have Adobe Pro, you also have the option of using the snapshot (camera) tool. Start with a large on-screen magnification if you are using either the snip tool or snapshot tool; the number of pixels makes a huge difference.

Finally, right click on the image to get the options box and select "Sharpen" if you can. This is not an option will all types of images, but it can help. It takes some experimentation to get the best image.
Hope this is helpful!

Well ... maybe if they were waiting 4 1/2 years for a response!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] marko.serb@gmail.com is offline

Something like this doesn't get old.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Sep 27, 10:35*am, wrote:

I've worked extensively with this issue. It helps if you use Paste Special and select a bitmap than if you do a direct paste. I've also found that inserting an object (PDF) results in terrible quality, but if you use the snip tool in accessories, the quality is much better. If you have Adobe Pro, you also have the option of using the snapshot (camera) tool. Start with a large on-screen magnification if you are using either the snip tool or snapshot tool; the number of pixels makes a huge difference.

Finally, right click on the image to get the options box and select "Sharpen" if you can. This is not an option will all types of images, but it can help. It takes some experimentation to get the best image.

Hope this is helpful!

Well ... maybe if they were waiting 4 1/2 years for a response!

Hahaha

I wasn't waiting three months for a response, either.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] sjlundberg@gmail.com is offline

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 at 12:25:43 PM UTC-5, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Sep 27, 10:35*am, wrote:
I've worked extensively with this issue. It helps if you use Paste Special and select a bitmap than if you do a direct paste. I've also found that inserting an object (PDF) results in terrible quality, but if you use the snip tool in accessories, the quality is much better. If you have Adobe Pro, you also have the option of using the snapshot (camera) tool. Start with a large on-screen magnification if you are using either the snip tool or snapshot tool; the number of pixels makes a huge difference.

Finally, right click on the image to get the options box and select "Sharpen" if you can. This is not an option will all types of images, but it can help. It takes some experimentation to get the best image.
Hope this is helpful!

Well ... maybe if they were waiting 4 1/2 years for a response!

Seven years since the question was asked... yet I found the answer helpful!
MSWordGuy MSWordGuy is offline
Banned

I need to crop and resize the photo. Do you have any services?
Vashei Vashei is offline
Banned

All the image editing tools are at hand. Is it possible? The softorbits program has rich functionality and flexible manual settings. Have you ever dreamed of turning a photo into a full-fledged sketch? You have such an opportunity.