Elena

Default Why not all fields in document are updating?

I actively used different fields (Pages, Numpages, Docproperty, Includetext,
references anŠ² so on). For updating the whole document I used Ctrl+A and then
F9 and everything was OK.
I have created a set of templates and when I'm updating the fields in this
templates (using Ctrl+A and F9), some fields didn't apdate (f.e. field
Numpages). When I'm updating the only this fields everything is good.
What is the reason?

Graham Mayor

Is this field in the header/footer? In which case you would need to update
the header/footer separately. This is easier to do with a macro such as the
example at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Elena wrote:
I actively used different fields (Pages, Numpages, Docproperty,
Includetext, references an? so on). For updating the whole document I
used Ctrl+A and then F9 and everything was OK.
I have created a set of templates and when I'm updating the fields in
this templates (using Ctrl+A and F9), some fields didn't apdate (f.e.
field Numpages). When I'm updating the only this fields everything is
good.
What is the reason?

Elena

This field is on the title page. We usualy update fields during filling
documentation and before printing. So for us more comfortable to use Ctrl+A
and then F9.
For updating fields in headers and footers we have created a macros.

Daiya Mitchell

Might someone have temporarily locked the field? See the Help topic:
"Prevent changes to information inserted by a field"

Do you have "update fields" checked in Tools | Options, Print? Assuming you
do, does the field update when you go into Print Preview?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Elena

I can't understand what do you mean under "Prevent changes to information
inserted by a field" and also couldn't find this topic in Internet.
If we print document all fields are updating.
But sometimes we just send documents by e-mail. So i must be sure that all
fields are really updated/

Daiya Mitchell

I meant, that's the topic you should look for in Word's Help. It will
explain how Lock and Unlink work with fields.

But if they all update when you print, that's probably not it.

What kind of field is this, anyhow?

On 8/28/05 11:21 PM, "Elena" wrote:

I can't understand what do you mean under "Prevent changes to information
inserted by a field" and also couldn't find this topic in Internet.
If we print document all fields are updating.
But sometimes we just send documents by e-mail. So i must be sure that all
fields are really updated/

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Elena

I exactly know that field Numpages is not updating on the title list. It
looks: {NUMPAGES \*MERGEFORMAT}
Probably some other fields are also not updating.

Daiya Mitchell

Are you saying it isn't updating because it keeps showing {NumPages }
instead of the number of pages, or are you just giving me the field code?

If the problem is that the field shows { NumPages }, right-click and Toggle
Field Codes.

Otherwise, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. Go back to Graham's post and use
his macro here
Which forces all fields to update. See if it works. If it works, you could
force it to run every time someone saves the doc.

Or try deleting the misbehaving field and re-creating it.

On 8/29/05 10:11 PM, "Elena" wrote:

I exactly know that field Numpages is not updating on the title list. It
looks: {NUMPAGES \*MERGEFORMAT}
Probably some other fields are also not updating.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Elena

I have just given you a field code.
I mean that if I add or delete pages (so the whole number of pages would
changed) then I update all fields in document (Ctrl+A then F9) the field
Numpages doesn't change (if it was 20 it would be 20). When I update only
this field or indicate refreshing fields before printing (Service -
Parameteres-Print) everything is o'key.

Daiya Mitchell

Well, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. Go back to Graham's post and use
his macro here
Which forces all fields to update. See if it works. If it works, you can