Robin

Default How do I turn on Design View (Mode)?

I want to change the tab order in a form that I have created. In an answer
to a question posted by someone else, Jay Freedman mentions to go to "Design
View". Where is Design View (or Design Mode)? I cannot find it in the View
menu.

I am using Word 2000.
Jay Freedman

Robin wrote:
I want to change the tab order in a form that I have created. In an
answer to a question posted by someone else, Jay Freedman mentions to
go to "Design View". Where is Design View (or Design Mode)? I
cannot find it in the View menu.

I am using Word 2000.

I heard someone say my name. :-)

First let's establish exactly what you're working on. Is this a form using
fields from the Forms toolbar, and "protected for forms"? You aren't making
a "userform" (custom dialog) using the macro editor? And you haven't used
anything from the Control Toolbox?

If that's correct, then Design Mode has nothing to do with it. You should
follow the examples at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/SetTabOrder.htm, which use macros to
select the next form field when the user presses the Tab key.

You don't want Design Mode, trust me. g It happens when you open the
Control Toolbox from View Toolbars. When you finish inserting and
configuring those items, you click a button to turn off Design Mode, and
then the controls operate. If you send that document to someone else and
they open the document while macros are disabled by a high macro security
setting, Design Mode will appear again, with no explanation to the user of
why their document doesn't work right.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Robin

Thanks, Jay. You were correct in assuming I was creating a protected form
only using the Forms toolbar, not the Control toolbox. Unfortunately, not
being able to change the tab order just gives me one more reason why I don't
like Word.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Robin wrote:
[...]

Jay Freedman

I did *not* say you can't change the tab order. What I did say was
that *if* you're using form fields, you *can* change the tab order by
writing macros to control it, as explained in the article. Go have a
look at it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Robin wrote:
[...]

Varda

I remember from way back in 2000, that you could change the tab order by
changing the name of the bookmark - or something equally as reasonable. Does
this not work anymore?

As well, weren't we able to add buttons with common properties (like "Save")?