CharlotteCorke

Default Can I link Excel Worksheet objects in Word?

I'm using Word 2003 to generate large, complex quotations for consultancy
projects. Projects are split into stages, and each stage consists of a number
of days at up to 3 different fee rates. So, the quotes are a combination of
text and calculations.
I have embedded an Excel table for each stage of the quote, which calculates
the stage costs (e.g. so many days at one rate plus so many days at another
etc and then a total cost for the stage). But I then have to manually add the
stage totals to get an overall cost for the project.
Is there any way to link the embedded objects within Word, so that the
individual stage costs are added together to generate a total project cost?
Many thanks for your attention.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Q2hhcmxvdHRlQ29ya2U=?=,

I'm using Word 2003 to generate large, complex quotations for consultancy
projects. Projects are split into stages, and each stage consists of a number
of days at up to 3 different fee rates. So, the quotes are a combination of
text and calculations.
I have embedded an Excel table for each stage of the quote, which calculates
the stage costs (e.g. so many days at one rate plus so many days at another
etc and then a total cost for the stage). But I then have to manually add the
stage totals to get an overall cost for the project.
Is there any way to link the embedded objects within Word, so that the
individual stage costs are added together to generate a total project cost?

Yes, but it's a bit volatile. You'd need to copy/paste a total from the embedded
object into Word, with a link. Do that for each sub-total. Then you should be
able to total them. Perhaps the best way would be to have a table at the end
that adds together the various parts.

The volatile aspect of this is that Word will generate an OLE_Link bookmark
around each Excel object, so that it knows where to go back and look. If you
ever move the Excel object, the bookmark will most likely get lost.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)