Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wildetudor wildetudor is offline

Default Cross-reference to a certain text rather to a certain heading numb

Can I insert an in-text cross-reference (References|Captions|Cross-reference)
to a heading's text in such a way that the reference remains valid
irrespective of subsequent headings renumerotations?
So in other words, if the heading numbering changes, I would like an Update
command to the cross-reference field to reflect the new text of the heading.

What I notice is that, for example, if I insert a cross-reference to the
heading "2.3 Equipment" and then, after inserting some more headings above,
the referenced heading becomes "2.5 Equipment", the cross-reference hyperlink
will take me to the heading 2.3, which is now a different title from the one
I intended to reference.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have inserted a cross-reference to the Equipment heading, then your
cross-reference should still go there even if the paragraph number changes,
but your cross-reference will not update automatically; you have to force it
with F9 or Print Preview.

But if you have created new headings by pressing Enter at the beginning of
the cross-referenced one, then you have gotten those new headings inside the
bookmark for the original heading, and the cross-reference will in fact be
wrong, and you will have to reinsert it to create a new bookmark.

"wildetudor" wrote in message
Can I insert an in-text cross-reference
(References|Captions|Cross-reference)
to a heading's text in such a way that the reference remains valid
irrespective of subsequent headings renumerotations?
So in other words, if the heading numbering changes, I would like an
Update
command to the cross-reference field to reflect the new text of the
heading.

What I notice is that, for example, if I insert a cross-reference to the
heading "2.3 Equipment" and then, after inserting some more headings
above,
the referenced heading becomes "2.5 Equipment", the cross-reference
hyperlink
will take me to the heading 2.3, which is now a different title from the
one
I intended to reference.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wildetudor wildetudor is offline

Default Cross-reference to a certain text rather to a certain heading

Hi, thanks for replying.

Yes, the headings get renumbered as a consequence of new headings being
inserted (either by pressing Enter at the beginning of a heading, as you
said, or by applying a Heading style to a new line of text). Also, I do
Update (F9) the cross-reference field before following its link.

So given all this, how can the bookmark (i.e. field) 'stick' to the text
rather than to the number of the heading?