Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sheila4typing sheila4typing is offline

Default Word 2003/2007 Add in tool bar

I have a word document I believe was created in 2003 (dot); which has a bunch
of icons under the add-ins tab like H1; which I assume means header 1. This
document was sent to another individual who has 2007 and not sure what was
done to it but when I open it in 2007 I do not even have the Add-in tab. So
my question is how do I get that add-in tab and transfer those icons from the
one version to 2007? Funny thing, when I open up the one that I think was
created in 2003 in my 2007 version I see the add-in, but when I open up the
version that was messed with I don't see any of that.
I hope this make since. I do not see a place to upload the document to show
you.
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word 2007 uses the Add-Ins tab to display custom toolbars created in earlier
versions of Word. Note that toolbars can be in a document or in an
associated template. If they are in the template you need the template file
to see the Add-Ins tab when you open the document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sheila4typing" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sheila4typing sheila4typing is offline

Thank you Stefan,
I do have the file with the Add-in tabs (dot file). I also have the one
without (dotx file) the tab. My assumptions is the original person opened up
the dot file, made changes and then did a file save as; which made it a dotx
file. When I open the docx file I get a dialog box that says The macros in
this project are disabled. Then I have to click OK not sure how to turn that
off or if it is needed. The dotx file does not do that. Since the dotx has
changes that is the one I need the add-in tab on and the icon that are on the
dot file associted with it.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, I'd place the template in the Templates folder.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sheila4typing" wrote in message
Sorry I am a little lost.
Are you saying that both documents need to be put into the templates
folder
and enble the macros?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

If one or more toolbar buttons make use of macros, the document or
template
containing that toolbar must be in a trusted location (such as the
templates
folder).

More importantly, note that *.docx and *.dotx files are always
macro-free,
which means that you
cannot use them with toolbars that depend on macros.

See also http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sheila4typing" wrote in
message

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sheila4typing sheila4typing is offline

I guess the dotx file is the template since that is the one that has
corrections to it correct? I think the templates folder is D:\Documents and
Settings\e183540\Templates; which is where I placed the dotx; which is not
the one that has the add-in bar, correct? Do I figure out how to enable the
macros in that document? That document is not the one that gave me the
message about macros.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

More importantly, note that *.docx and *.dotx files are always macro-free,
which means that you cannot use them with toolbars that depend on macros.

Although I am sure that your intended meaning here is correct, the meaning
that comes through may be misleading. It is certainly true that *.docx and
*.dotx files cannot contain toolbars that depend on macros, but they can
certainly *use* macros in Normal.dotm or any other *.doc, *.dot, or *.dotm
file loaded as an add-in or attached template.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Clarification:

If one or more toolbar buttons make use of macros, the document or
template containing that toolbar must be in a trusted location (such as
the templates folder), assuming that you haven't changed the default
security settings in Word.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sheila4typing sheila4typing is offline

Can you tell me if it is the dotx or docx file I place in the templates
folder? Also if I use the dotx file it does not have the add-in tab so I
need to get that.
Thanks

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You cannot store macros in a dotx template nor a docx document.

If you are using Word 2007 formats, for the macros to work they must be in a
dotm template or a docm document.

For a dot or dotm template to be used as an add-in, it should be installed
in the Word startup folder which by default is at

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

Copy that to the Explorer address bar.

To create new documents from a macro enabled template dot or dotm, the
template must be in a trusted location for the macros to work.

The default location for templates is

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Templates

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sheila4typing sheila4typing is offline

Thank you Graham.
Here is what happened.
I took the dot file and saved it as dotm and put a check in the Maintain
word compatibility with word 97-2003 because I believe people at work are
still using 2003. I copies the dotm file to this location D:\Documents and
Settings\e183540\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP; however when I open
the document I do not see the add-in tab; whereas I did before if I had it on
my desktop. Did I do this incorrect?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word 2003 cannot use dotm templates and dotm templates cannot store
toolbars. There are no toolbars in Word 2007. However Word 2007 can use dot
format. If you want compatibility with both versions, use DOT. You will need
to re-edit the template in 2003 and save as DOT to ensure that the toolbar
is available http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

Alternatively you can forget all about Word 2003 compatibility and create a
ribbon entry in a DOTM template to run your macros.
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sheila4typing sheila4typing is offline

Graham,
Sorry if I am a little slow at this; however 2007 is new to me.
OK, lets forget about the 2003 version then.
I did not follow your exact instruction, actually by mistaken and it appears
to be working, so I am a little confused.
Explain this to me.
I took the dot file; which had the add-in tab when I received the file and
dropped it into D:\Documents and
Settings\e183540\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Word\ST ARTUP. Opened it up and it
appears to be working. Then I took the other file, remaned it a dot; which is
the updated file that when I open on my desktop did not have the add-in. I
dropped the file in the same location as the other and it now has the Add-in
and appears to be working. Maybe they were both done in 2007, I really don't
know since I did not do either of these files. You were saying to make it a
dotm file to be able to run the Macros; which I assume is the icons in the
Add-in Tab?

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

sheila4typing wrote:
[...]

No that is not what I am saying. The dot files will work as supplied without
modification (on both Word 2003 and 2007) - which is what you appear to have
done so far - provided that the macros they contain are compatible with
2007. Any custom toolbars contained in those templates will appear on the
add-ins tab - http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm .

If you modify the templates in Word 2007 and save them as DOTM format, you
will probably lose the toolbar commands (as there are no toolbars in Word
2007) and you would have to edit the ribbon to replace them. Renaming a dot
file as dotm or vice versa does not change its format. You would have to
save it as dot or dotm to do that. As you have it working with the templates
in DOT format. Leave it alone.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Good point. I meant to say that you cannot *store* macros in the files I
mentioned.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP