Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Switzerland calling Switzerland calling is offline

Default Spellcheck. Detect language automatically option not showing!

Windows XP. Not sure which Word version I have (it came of Office2000 disk).

Used to be able to set "Detect language automatically" by checking the box
under "Tools" "Language". The box is still there, but grey and not accessible.

I have tried selecting all the text, setting the default language, but still
can't get the automatic box to permit entry.

Appreciate any help thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word 2000? Given that this function is useless, in that its language
detection accuracy is highly inaccurate, this is no bad thing, but if you
were to delete the Word data key for Word 9.0 -
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm - the
activation issue should be corrected. You will have to reset a number of
preferences afterwards so it might be better to rename the key OldData so
that if it doesn't fix the problem you can delete the newly created key and
restore the old one.

Switzerland calling wrote:
Windows XP. Not sure which Word version I have (it came of Office2000
disk).

Used to be able to set "Detect language automatically" by checking
the box under "Tools" "Language". The box is still there, but grey
and not accessible.

I have tried selecting all the text, setting the default language,
but still can't get the automatic box to permit entry.

Appreciate any help thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Switzerland calling Switzerland calling is offline

In the past it has been great function for me (as I switch between English &
French docs all the time).

I don't quite understand the "key" solution you offer below - apologies. I
get the bit about renaming the key to protect it if needed later, but can't
see where to find this key... will continue to read your document link.

How can I tell what Word version I have please?