Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cody Kid Cody Kid is offline

Default Formating Word Text copied from Access or Excel

Hi Again,

I have another puzzle. We are moving over 200 names and organizations from
an excel sheet to a word doc. When we paste into Word we use the Paste
Special option and choose unformatted text so that the columns and rows dont
copy also. Then I have to go thru each name and organization, delete the
excess of spaces, then place a comma between the last name and the
organization. That is very time consuming. Is there a way that you can do
this in Search and Replace or am I looking for help in the wrong place in
Word?

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Cody
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would approach this task differently. Paste the data from Excel into Word
as a table. Then use Table | Convert | Table to Text, using an appropriate
separator (sounds like you want a comma). This would put a comma between
columns and a paragraph break at the end of each row. Even if it doesn't get
you all the way there, it would get you farther along, facilitating the
required Find and Replace operation.

"Cody Kid" wrote in message
Hi Again,

I have another puzzle. We are moving over 200 names and organizations

from
an excel sheet to a word doc. When we paste into Word we use the Paste
Special option and choose unformatted text so that the columns and rows

dont
copy also. Then I have to go thru each name and organization, delete the
excess of spaces, then place a comma between the last name and the
organization. That is very time consuming. Is there a way that you can

do
this in Search and Replace or am I looking for help in the wrong place in
Word?

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Cody

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cliff[_2_] Cliff[_2_] is offline

Another way to do it would be to add a column between the last name and
organizations fields in Excel. Put a comma in the first cell of the column
and fill down to the last row. Then copy and paste everything to Word. To
get rid of extranneous spaces, use the find/replace command to replace all "
" (two spaces without the quotes) with " " (one space without the quotes) in
Word. You may have to click Replace All twice. To get rid of spaces before
commas, replace all " ," with "," (again, no quotes.)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I would approach this task differently. Paste the data from Excel into Word
as a table. Then use Table | Convert | Table to Text, using an appropriate
separator (sounds like you want a comma). This would put a comma between
columns and a paragraph break at the end of each row. Even if it doesn't
get
you all the way there, it would get you farther along, facilitating the
required Find and Replace operation.

so
all may benefit.