Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document?

How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document? Using the
"Insert" drop down menu, then "Page Numbering", offers a number of ways to
edit page numbers, but I don't see a way to eliminate them from a document
once inserted.
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the numbers were inserted using Insert | Page Numbers, they can be tricky
to delete safely. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm for
instructions.

"Kevin" wrote in message
How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document? Using the
"Insert" drop down menu, then "Page Numbering", offers a number of ways to
edit page numbers, but I don't see a way to eliminate them from a document
once inserted.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Which version of Word?

If prior to 2007, go to ViewHeader & Footer, then delete the page number
code as well as any other unwanted content. If the doc uses several pg
number schemes in different sections the content will have to be deleted
from each Footer.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/2/07 5:42 PM, in article
, "Kevin"
wrote:

How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document? Using the
"Insert" drop down menu, then "Page Numbering", offers a number of ways to
edit page numbers, but I don't see a way to eliminate them from a document
once inserted.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sunny sunny is offline

I am new to this version of Wrod. I hit "Insert" for page # and picked a
style. The page # went into the document, but I could not get back to the
main text to keep writing the text of the document. I was stuck in the
footer. Can someone tell me what I should do? Thanks, Sunny

"Kevin" wrote:

How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document? Using the
"Insert" drop down menu, then "Page Numbering", offers a number of ways to
edit page numbers, but I don't see a way to eliminate them from a document
once inserted.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Double-click the main body of the document to close the header and footer
view (or press the close button on the far left of the Header & Footer Tools
ribbon).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kevin" wrote:

How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document? Using the
"Insert" drop down menu, then "Page Numbering", offers a number of ways
edit page numbers, but I don't see a way to eliminate them from a
document
once inserted.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Double-click the main body of the document to close the header and footer
view (or press the close button on the far left of the Header & Footer
Tools ribbon).

Obviously, I meant to write on the far *right* of the ribbon.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kevin" wrote:

How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document? Using the
"Insert" drop down menu, then "Page Numbering", offers a number of ways
edit page numbers, but I don't see a way to eliminate them from a
document
once inserted.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jon jon is offline

I'd like to start numbering with page 2 on the actual page 5, no numbers
before that. Is Word 2007 capable of this feat?
Jon

"estelle" wrote in message

"Kevin" wrote:

How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document? Using the
"Insert" drop down menu, then "Page Numbering", offers a number of ways
edit page numbers, but I don't see a way to eliminate them from a
document
once inserted.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Certainly. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...atter_2007.htm (and note
that if you see a huge gap in the text in the first screen, there is more
text after the gap!).

http://word.mvps.org

"estelle" wrote in message

"Kevin" wrote:

How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document? Using the
"Insert" drop down menu, then "Page Numbering", offers a number of
ways
edit page numbers, but I don't see a way to eliminate them from a
document
once inserted.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jon jon is offline

Sorry, the instructions on that page are a bit of a confusing nightmare. I
don't want *any* numbers on the front matter, not Roman numerals.
Jon

"Jon" wrote in message
I'd like to start numbering with page 2 on the actual page 5, no numbers
before that. Is Word 2007 capable of this feat?
Jon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

Although I can see the benifits of the tip, I find it rather complex
to achieve such a simple thing. The following combination of fields
should just as well achieve what is required:

{ IF { PAGE } 5 "" { = { PAGE } - 3 } }

If your page number is less than 5, don't display anything, otherwise,
display your page number minus 3 (so 5 becomes 2, 6 3, ...)

Do not enter the brackets yourself, enter them by using CTRL+F9:

1)Type CTRL+F9. (results in { })
2)Type IF between the brackets followed by CTRL+F9. (results in { IF
{ } })
3)Type PAGE between the inner brackets and " 5" right of the inner
brackets. (results in { IF { PAGE } 5})
4)Add the "". (results in { IF { PAGE } 5 ""})
5)Type CTRL+F9. (results in { IF { PAGE } 5 "" { } })
6)Type '='. (results in { IF { PAGE } 5 "" { = } })
7)Type CTRL+F9. (results in { IF { PAGE } 5 "" { = { } } })
8)Type PAGE between the last added brackets followed by - 3 after the
brackets. (results in { IF { PAGE } 5 "" { = { PAGE } - 3 } })

Yves

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Jon" wrote in message

Sorry, the instructions on that page are a bit of a confusing nightmare. I
don't want *any* numbers on the front matter, not Roman numerals.
Jon

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Certainly. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...r_2007.htm(and note

"Jon" wrote in message
I'd like to start numbering with page 2 on the actual page 5, no
numbers
before that. Is Word 2007 capable of this feat?
Jon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The problem with calculated page numbering is that a TOC will reflect the
PAGE field value, not the result of the calculated field.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jon" wrote in message
I'd like to start numbering with page 2 on the actual page 5, no
numbers
before that. Is Word 2007 capable of this feat?
Jon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is less complicated than inserting a Section Break??

"Jon" wrote in message

Sorry, the instructions on that page are a bit of a confusing nightmare. I
don't want *any* numbers on the front matter, not Roman numerals.
Jon

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Certainly. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...07.htm(andnote

"Jon" wrote in message
I'd like to start numbering with page 2 on the actual page 5, no
numbers
before that. Is Word 2007 capable of this feat?
Jon-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

Yes and no. Its a bigger effort to insert, but my experience is that
it requires less follow-up questions. Although section breaks do not
have to have any other influence, often people start complaining about
numbering over multiple sections (lists, captions, ...) going wrong.

Yves

"Jon" wrote in message
I'd like to start numbering with page 2 on the actual page 5, no
numbers
before that. Is Word 2007 capable of this feat?
Jon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
halleen halleen is offline

You thought THAT was less complex?

Some people are not going to be comfortable writing if/then code with math
in them.

I thought those instructions were right on, the tricky part is just
understanding the dynamics of headers/footers and sections. Including the
"first page is different" and "link to previous" functions.

And FINDING them, I'm still getting used to 2007's ribbon, which makes lots
of sense once you get over 10 years of "how it's always worked before"
training.

I wanted two un numbered pages, then standard numbering after that. I was
starting with a doc that had a single un numbered page which I accomplished
using "first page is different" and started the numbering at zero.

To add my second page I had to first undo the above and get back to a simple
state where all pages were the same.

Then it was easy to add a section, unlink the two sections, and apply the
numbering I wanted to the second section only.

thanks for the tip

"Jon" wrote in message
I'd like to start numbering with page 2 on the actual page 5, no
numbers
before that. Is Word 2007 capable of this feat?
Jon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, in fairness to Doug, what he supplied was not "code" but a field. For
people accustomed to creating fields, it is really quite a simple one, and
he did provide complete instructions for constructing it (which would be
unnecessary for those accustomed to creating fields "by hand"). If you use
the Insert Page Number button to insert the { PAGE } field, you really only
have to insert one field using Ctrl+F9 and then type everything else inside
it.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jon" wrote in message
I'd like to start numbering with page 2 on the actual page 5, no
numbers
before that. Is Word 2007 capable of this feat?
Jon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Giny Giny is offline

Inadvertently I programed the first chapter of a dissertation to have page 1
identified in the header rather than the footer. I am using Vista and MS Word
2007. How may I reverse the programming?

"Jon" wrote in message
I'd like to start numbering with page 2 on the actual page 5, no
numbers
before that. Is Word 2007 capable of this feat?
Jon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Open the header view. Select and cut (Ctrl+X) the entry from the header,
switch to the footer and paste it there (CTRL+V)

"p0" wrote:

Although I can see the benifits of the tip, I find it rather complex
to achieve such a simple thing. The following combination of fields
should just as well achieve what is required:

{ IF { PAGE } 5 "" { = { PAGE } - 3 } }

If your page number is less than 5, don't display anything,
otherwise, display your page number minus 3 (so 5 becomes 2, 6 3,
...)

"Jon" wrote in message
I'd like to start numbering with page 2 on the actual page 5, no
numbers
before that. Is Word 2007 capable of this feat?
Jon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Double-click the page number in the header (or footer); this activates the
header/footer view. Then select and delete the page number that you want to
get rid of.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Keith" wrote in message

"Kevin" wrote:

How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document? Using the
"Insert" drop down menu, then "Page Numbering", offers a number of ways
edit page numbers, but I don't see a way to eliminate them from a
document
once inserted.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Also, if it was inserted via Insert | Page Numbers, it will be in a frame,
and you need to be careful to delete the entire frame to avoid the
"wandering frame" problem discussed in

"Keith" wrote in message

"Kevin" wrote:

How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document? Using the
"Insert" drop down menu, then "Page Numbering", offers a number of ways
edit page numbers, but I don't see a way to eliminate them from a
document
once inserted.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Good point.

Having text boundaries displayed in Word makes it easier to see such page
number frames.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Keith" wrote in message

"Kevin" wrote:

How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document? Using the
"Insert" drop down menu, then "Page Numbering", offers a number of ways
edit page numbers, but I don't see a way to eliminate them from a
document
once inserted.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I find myself absolutely at sea when I open a copy of Word that doesn't have
both nonprinting characters and text boundaries displayed. Those are the two
changes I make immediately.

http://word.mvps.org

"Keith" wrote in message

"Kevin" wrote:

How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document? Using the
"Insert" drop down menu, then "Page Numbering", offers a number of
ways to
edit page numbers, but I don't see a way to eliminate them from a
document
once inserted.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, I feel the same. Previously I imagined that nonprinting marks were more
important to me, but I'm gradually realizing that I'm highly dependent on
text boundaries as well.

--

"Keith" wrote in message

"Kevin" wrote:

How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document? Using the
"Insert" drop down menu, then "Page Numbering", offers a number of
ways to
edit page numbers, but I don't see a way to eliminate them from a
document
once inserted.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think I'm more dependent on text boundaries than on nonprinting
characters, which I usually turn off when I'm proofreading (but flip back on
to confirm suspected cases of extra spaces and the like). I do wish, though,
that there were a similarly simple toggle for text boundaries; someone
inquired about that recently (wanting to add it to the QAT in Word 2007),
and I hadn't thought about it till then, but I would appreciate that button.

http://word.mvps.org

"Keith" wrote in message

"Kevin" wrote:

How can I eliminate page numbering in an MS Word document? Using
the
"Insert" drop down menu, then "Page Numbering", offers a number of
ways to
edit page numbers, but I don't see a way to eliminate them from a
document
once inserted.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'd like a QAT button for Paragraph Marks. I have them (and Tabs)
always on (but not the other Non-Printing Characters), but they
interfere considerably when dealing with tables. Especially since the
Paragraph Mark coding is used in some non-roman fonts for actual
letters, so they appear in the cells rather than faint circles.

On Mar 20, 6:09*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
[...]

. ..