Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PLDV PLDV is offline

Default Numbered paragraphs following Heading

Hi, Stefan (or another helper): I thought I'd resolved this problem of
creating numbered paragraphs which followed a previous Heading level number.
However, the solution provided by Pamelia & yourself breaks the Heading style
for lower
Heading levels. For example: If I create a multilevel list style for
paragraphs that are numbered based on Heading 2 & in the Define new
Multilevel list dialog box, "Link level to style" to "List Number" & then
define a 2nd Multilevel List also based on Heading 2 & link that to List
Number 2, then the previously defined style for Headings 3 & 4 reverts to the
Heading 1 style. Is there some other setting in the "Define new Multilevel
list" dialog box which must be set to prevent this change to Headings 3 & 4
styles?? I need to be able to use Heading style 3 & 4 independent of the
multilevel list which I only want to work based on the Heading 2 style.
Clearly, I'm missing 'something'. Thanks for helping me to understand the
logic of this area.

Leszek Vincent (PLDV)

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

I'm glad you got it sorted, and thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"PLDV" wrote in message
Thank you Stefan. This was a repost of a note sent yesterday but which I
could not find in the thread. Then I found the original post with an
answer
provided by Pam. Your answer and Pam's have given me the solution. Thanks.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

For this to work, your numbered paragraph style must be part of the same
multilevel list as Heading 1 and Heading 2. Place the insertion point in
the
first Heading 1 paragraph of your document, and then click Home tab |
Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List. Click More (if necessary)
see the whole dialog box. Click Level 3, and choose the style that you
want
numbered in the "Link level to style" box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"PLDV" wrote in message
Helpful forum members: Using Word 2007, I need to create multi-level
numbered
paragraphs which start beneath text which has the Heading 2 style in
place.
This is for a series of simple template documents. I'm reluctant to use
the
Heading styles to achieve this goal as those styles are already defined
&
have a different format (e.g. bold). The multi-level numbered
paragraphs
need
to have their numbering based on the Heading 2 style that is used for
text
immediately preceding the multi-level numbered paragraphs. e.g.

5.1 Sample Heading 2 Text (which is in bold)
5.1.1. Text for multi-level numbered paragraph where
the
paragraph numbering picks up the numbering from the Heading 2 style
used
immediately above.
5.1.1.i. Next level of the multi-level
numbered paragraph
5.1.1.i.a. Next level of
the
multi-level numbered paragraph.

I've explored the List Number style & the List Paragraph style but I
seem
be missing some important understanding regarding how these work. I'd
be
grateful for a pointer to a concept document or your helpful comments
help
me through this seemingly complex area. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

No, you're not missing something, but I was. You didn't say that you had
headings beyond heading 2.

Assigning numbering levels to nonheading styles to make your "autorestart"
lists won't work if you don't have enough heading levels free. You can have
as many as 6 headings levels (remember to include any numbered appendix
headings in that count) and still have three numbering levels free. I
suggest you link numbering levels 7, 8, and 9 to your list styles.

HTH,
Pam

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

I'm glad you got it sorted, and thank you for the feedback.

[quoted text clipped - 51 lines]
help
me through this seemingly complex area. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PLDV PLDV is offline

Well, I read the MVP article on "Word's numbering explained (by John McGhie).
Now I understand a little more about why this area is fraught with difficulty
& 'landmines'. But there may still be a solution to my seemingly simple & not
uncommon need?? In the meantime I'll use the 'dormant' Heading 6-8 styles for
covering these needs. Sigh! Leszek Vincent

"PLDV" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See also http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html.

--