Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lx Lx is offline

Default ISO690-Numerical: Citations in captions and text

I've been using the numerical citation style however my numbers are not
appearing consecutively, even after reselecting the style.
The problem is when I cite a source in an image caption without using it
main text. The number ordering follows through the main text, then starts the
document again numbering through the captions following on from the last
number used in the main text.
Is it possible for Word to recognise citations without missing out the
citations initially?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

"Lx" wrote in message
I've been using the numerical citation style however my numbers are not
appearing consecutively, even after reselecting the style.
The problem is when I cite a source in an image caption without using it
main text. The number ordering follows through the main text, then starts
the
document again numbering through the captions following on from the last
number used in the main text.
Is it possible for Word to recognise citations without missing out the
citations initially?

I tried what you described and it renumbered them correctly.

The only reason I can think of why the ordering would be incorrect is if you
added the (image and the) image caption in some kind of container which is
not connected to your main text. An example could be a textbox in which you
pasted the image and its caption. In that case, the numbering will not be
correct as first all citations in the main text will be handled after which
the one(s) in the textbox will be numbered. There is nothing you can do
about that.

Yves
--
http://bibliography.codeplex.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lx Lx is offline

Hi Yves,
Thanks for replying so quickly.
I haven't got the image & caption in any additional text box but the image
caption is in the text box which it is automatically put in (as small blue
writing), was it when you just tried it out?

But many thanks, if need be taking the captions out of the boxes shouldn't
take to long.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

"Lx" wrote in message
news
Hi Yves,
Thanks for replying so quickly.
I haven't got the image & caption in any additional text box but the image
caption is in the text box which it is automatically put in (as small blue
writing), was it when you just tried it out?

But many thanks, if need be taking the captions out of the boxes shouldn't
take to long.

By default my captions are never in any box. Not if I use "Insert Caption"
on the "References" tab and not if I right click the image and use "Insert
Caption...". But I'm betting that the boxes are some kind of containers
which are handled after the main text and therefore ordered out of sequence.

You can try it with one or two captions and see what it gives.

Yves
--
http://bibliography.codeplex.com

roderickgatt roderickgatt is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx View Post
I've been using the numerical citation style however my numbers are not
appearing consecutively, even after reselecting the style.
The problem is when I cite a source in an image caption without using it
main text. The number ordering follows through the main text, then starts the
document again numbering through the captions following on from the last
number used in the main text.
Is it possible for Word to recognise citations without missing out the
citations initially?

Hi Lx,

I am having the exact same problem with citations in captions not being numerically in line with the rest of the text. All I do is first insert a caption for the image, then I insert a citation in the caption. However the numerical number starts counting after the main text.

Have you managed to solve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated