Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob V Bob V is offline

Default Word 2002 blank print preview & blank printing

I typed a very important three page document. When I click 'Print Preview'
all I get is a blank page - except for the Footer. Likewise, when I test
print the first page, I get a blank page except for the Footer.
I need this document for Monday AM, so all urgent responses would be very
much appreciated.

Bob V
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word 2002, click on Tools | Options | View tab | check the "Drawings"
box and uncheck the "Picture placeholders" box | Print tab | check the
"Drawing objects" box | OK.

Bob V wrote:
I typed a very important three page document. When I click 'Print Preview'
all I get is a blank page - except for the Footer. Likewise, when I test
print the first page, I get a blank page except for the Footer.
I need this document for Monday AM, so all urgent responses would be very
much appreciated.

Bob V

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob V Bob V is offline

Garfield - thanks for your very prompt response - BUT - I went to Tools \
Options View tab & Print tab & found that the three items you mentioned are
already checked or unchecked as appropriate. I still have the problem.

Just with this one doc - I opened a few existing files & they are OK.

Bob V

Bob V wrote:
I typed a very important three page document. When I click 'Print Preview'
all I get is a blank page - except for the Footer. Likewise, when I test
print the first page, I get a blank page except for the Footer.
I need this document for Monday AM, so all urgent responses would be very
much appreciated.

Bob V

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

It's possible that you've somehow formatted the text as Hidden. When you
turn the non-printing characters OFF does the text also disappear in Page
Layout View (might be differently named in 2002)? If so, select all the text
& go to Format Font, clear the checkbox for Hidden -or- delete the Hidden
attribute from your Styles if you've used them for formatting.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 10/4/09 5:38 PM, in article
, "Bob V"

Bob V wrote:
I typed a very important three page document. When I click 'Print Preview'
all I get is a blank page - except for the Footer. Likewise, when I test
print the first page, I get a blank page except for the Footer.
I need this document for Monday AM, so all urgent responses would be very
much appreciated.

Bob V

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twayne Twayne is offline

Bob V wrote:
I typed a very important three page document. When I click 'Print
Preview' all I get is a blank page - except for the Footer.
Likewise, when I test print the first page, I get a blank page
except for the Footer.
I need this document for Monday AM, so all urgent responses would
be very much appreciated.

Bob V

Open the file in Word. Turn ON show/hide (the backward para mark in the
menu bar) so you see all the paragraph marks, spaces, etc. in the
document).
Highlight the whole document start to end EXCEPT the very last
paragraph mark.
Type CTRL-C (copy)
Open a new, blank document
In that document, Type CTRL-V (paste).
NOW see if the preview and print works for the new document. I think it
will.
Save the new document to a new file name.
Close the original document
Close the new document.
Close Word.
Using win Explorer, check to be sure the new document exists and the
size is about right, etc..
Delete the old document.
REmane the new document to the original filiename if desired, or just go
with the new filename.

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twayne Twayne is offline

"CyberTaz" wrote in message

It's possible that you've somehow formatted the text as Hidden. When
you turn the non-printing characters OFF does the text also disappear
in Page Layout View (might be differently named in 2002)? If so,
select all the text & go to Format Font, clear the checkbox for
Hidden -or- delete the Hidden attribute from your Styles if you've
used them for formatting.

When you're working on the document, you DO have the same printer
driver as the default as the one you print with, right? Word uses the
printer drivers to display to the screen so if you change printers to a
different type at print time, you may get unexpected results.

HTH,

Twayne`

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 10/4/09 5:38 PM, in article
, "Bob V"

Bob V wrote:
I typed a very important three page document. When I click 'Print
Preview' all I get is a blank page - except for the Footer.
Likewise, when I test print the first page, I get a blank page
except for the Footer.
I need this document for Monday AM, so all urgent responses would
be very much appreciated.

Bob V

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob V Bob V is offline

Thanks Bob Jones & Twayne. 'Hidden' Font was the answer.
On some of my older docs I used to make the first one or two lines 'Hidden',
for various reasons. I must have copied one of these older docs to use as the
basis for my new doc, then copied the 'Hidden' font all through my new doc.
Such a simple solution that I'm embarrassed to admit it.
Thanks again,
Bob V