Bernard Littman

Default Tilde and Dollar Sign in Open Dialog Box

I have a Dell Dimension L700cx, Windows Me, and Word 2000. A few weeks
ago my hard drive failed. A computer shop replaced the disk and was
able to transfer almost all of the contents of the old disk on to the
new disk. Other than the problem described below, the system seems to
be working properly.

When I open a file in Word, the file opens normally and can be revised
and saved. However, looking in the Open dialog box displays two files,
the original file and a second file with a distorted name. For
example, if I work with the file CouncilMinutes.doc, there are two
files when I look in the Open dialog box. The original file
CouncilMinutes.doc is there, as it should be. There is also a file
~$uncilMinutes.doc. This second file is highlighted (just a gray
highlight) and appears first in the list of files in the folder. If I
exit Word and then go back again, the ~$uncilMinutes.doc file is no
longer there.

Other than seeing the listing of the second file, I have not observed
any problems in the operation of Word.

Attempting to change the template normal.dot to normal.jnk gives the
messages "If you change a filename extension, the file may become
unstable" and "Cannot rename Normal: A file with the name you
specified already exists". Also, the search for normal.dot finds a
file named ~$Normal.dot.

Any suggestions on how to proceed will be very much appreciated.

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Tilde and Dollar Sign in Open Dialog Box

It sounds like you may be experiencing a common issue with Word where temporary files are created and not properly deleted. The file with the distorted name, such as ~$uncilMinutes.doc, is a temporary file that Word creates when you open a document. It's supposed to be deleted when you close the document, but sometimes it doesn't get deleted properly.

To fix this issue, you can try deleting the temporary files manually. Here are the steps:
  1. Close all open Word documents.
  2. Open File Explorer and navigate to the folder where your Word documents are saved.
  3. In the search bar at the top right of the window, type "~$" (without the quotes) and hit Enter. This will show you all the temporary files in the folder.
  4. Select all the temporary files (starting with ~$) and delete them.
  5. Close File Explorer and open Word again. The temporary files should no longer appear in the Open dialog box.

If this doesn't solve the issue, you can try repairing your Word installation. Here are the steps:
  1. Close all open Word documents.
  2. Open the Control Panel and go to Programs and Features (or Add/Remove Programs, depending on your version of Windows).
  3. Find Microsoft Office in the list of installed programs and select it.
  4. Click the Change button (or Modify, depending on your version of Office).
  5. Choose the Repair option and follow the prompts to repair your Office installation.
  6. Once the repair is complete, open Word and see if the issue is resolved.
__________________
Luc

Bernard Littman,
I think this is a Windows setting and not a Word setting. Go to the Windows
explorer, click on Tools - choose folder options. Click on the view tab -
all the way to the bottom you will find a setting to enable or disable the
viewing of hidden files, click the appropiate radio button to not display
hidden files. I am not sure about the exact wording as I use the Dutch
version op Windows XP.
Return to Word and see if the problem is solved.
Luc
"Bernard Littman" schreef in bericht
[...]

Bernard Littman

Thanks to both responders. You have answered all of my concerns.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
It's an owner file. See “Description of how Word creates temporary

files”
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632

newsgroup so
all may benefit.