Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] jrjinfo@sbcglobal.net is offline

Default Convert multiple line text to table - then to data file

2-1-08

Hi,

I received a WORD 2003 document consisting of 500 + names, address and phone
numbers typed as:

First MI Last †’ Home: 213-456-7890 (return)
123 Main St †’ Work: 213-789-0456 (return)
City, ST ZIP †’ Email: me@mydomain ΒΆ

How do I parse the three lines of information into one line per record in
the following format:

First MI Last Street Address City ST ZIP Home # Work #
Email

so I can convert the text to a table and then into a usable data file.

Thanks so much for your help.

Joanne

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Where you show (return) is that actually a paragraph Ά or just a manual line
break?

To get rid of the Home:, Work: and Email:, you can use EditReplace the
replace each of them in turn with nothing.

Just what you need to do will depend a bit on the answer to the first
question above, but see "Convert Labels into Mail Merge Data File" on fellow
MVP Graham Mayor's website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

City, ST ZIP ? Email: me@mydomain Ά

How do I parse the three lines of information into one line per record in
the following format:

First MI Last Street Address City ST ZIP Home # Work #
Email

so I can convert the text to a table and then into a usable data file.

Thanks so much for your help.

Joanne

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
BoniM BoniM is offline

If the (return) you are showing is a line return - use Replace to replace all
manual line breaks with tab characters.
To do that, in the Replace dialog box, click the More button if available
(if you see less instead, you're already good to go). In the find what box,
click the Special button and choose Manual Line Break. Move your insertion
point to the Replace with box and choose Tab Character from the Special list
and then click Replace All. Select all of your data and use Convert Text to
Table to create a six column table with the data in the wrong order. Select
a column with the down pointing black arrow at the top of the column and the
drag the selected column to your prefered location.
Let me know if I can be further help or even if I'm just way off base... :-)

" wrote:

2-1-08

Hi,

I received a WORD 2003 document consisting of 500 + names, address and phone
numbers typed as:

First MI Last †’ Home: 213-456-7890 (return)
123 Main St †’ Work: 213-789-0456 (return)
City, ST ZIP †’ Email: me@mydomain ΒΆ

How do I parse the three lines of information into one line per record in
the following format:

First MI Last Street Address City ST ZIP Home # Work #
Email

so I can convert the text to a table and then into a usable data file.

Thanks so much for your help.

Joanne

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
David David is offline

Just spotted the query
Firstly I would copy & paste all the data to excell
Then find a character that isn't in the list e.g "~"
Find " †’ " and replace with ~
Find " †’ " and replace with ~
Find ": " and replace with ~

Parse this with data: text to columns:delimitedther:~
All catagorys should be seperated- accross from this list type headings
going accross page and on 1 line link to the relevant data.- copy this down
and filter on lines commencing with "first*"- this should be your data in
landscape- hope this hels and not too late..

DavidM

Lastly find
--
Thanks for your help

Where you show (return) is that actually a paragraph ΒΆ or just a manual line