Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Garrett Garrett is offline

Default multiple text boxes

I've added a very poor example at the bottom of this post.
The header is denoted by ***
The first text box is denoted by ----
The second text box is denoted by ===

I am trying to make a template with two text boxes that can expand as
needed, pushing whatever is below them down the page or onto the next
page(s). The header is a static size.

The first text box that takes up the width of the page. It needs to be able
to expand down as lines of text are added and push everything underneath it
down. That works, until I add the second text box.

The second text box needs two equally sized columns, totalling the width of
the page. The columns hold info that would work well for a table, except that
I can't rely on template users to add or remove cells as needed. I have about
5 different "groups" (eg, APPLICANTS, EMPLOYEES, etc). One or more will be
used and there will be one or more entries under each one that is used.
Unused "groups" must be deleted from the template (or at least not printed),
but all must initially appear in the template so users can choose which to
use.

Again, the trick is getting the 1st and 2nd text boxes to expand vertically
to push everything below them onto the next page(s).

Finally, I need a footer, but only on the last page of the document. No idea
how to get a footer on only one page.

Any/all help is greatly appreciated.
Here's my example.

*****************
HEADER INFORMATION
*****************
TODAY's DATE: fill in today's date
TOPIC : fill in topic
(needs to expand with other possible entries)
APPLICANTS:
Name: John Doe Brief bio - John Doe attended
Address: 123 Smart S. BYU from 1994-1998 and
Birthdate: 01-01-1967 graduated suma cumlaude.
City born: New York, NY

EMPLOYEES:
Name: Jane Doe Brief bio - Jane Doe attended
Address: 123 Easy St. SDSU from 1998-2002 and
Birthdate: 02-02-1972 graduated cumlaude.
City born: Omaha, NE

SUMMARY OPINION: type free text here for remainder of document

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I'd use a two-column table for the whole thing. Merge the cells in the first
row. If you leave the row height as Auto, it can expand as needed. Create
AutoText entries for the stubs in the left cell if desired and let users tab
out of the first row to create more as needed. Leave the last part as an
open text area.

For the middle portion, I'd suggest a two-pronged solution:

1. Create an AutoText entry for each kind of stub (Applicant, Employee,
etc.)

2. Create an AutoTextList field to allow users to choose among these entries
(see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/AutoTextList.htm).

3. Save the AutoTextList field itself as an AutoText entry and provide users
a toolbar button for inserting this AutoText entry in each new row.

The procedure would then be:

1. Fill out the top section and Tab to get into the next row.

2. Fill out the first row of the table and Tab to create a new row.

3. Click the button to insert the AutoText entry (the AutoTextList field).

4. Select from the menu created by the field to insert the appropriate AT
entry for the current row.

5. Fill out that row and Tab to create another.

6. Repeat as needed, then go on to fill out the last bit.

You can set all the rows as nonbreaking.