Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura C Johnson Laura C Johnson is offline

Default TOC numbering problem

Everyone,

I'm using Word 2003 with WinXP.

I have a puzzling problem - I'm working with a colleague who has created a
54 page doc. He's created a TOC which reflects the correct page numbers.

He then saved the doc...and when he (or anyone else) opens it, the TOC shows
everything on Page 3.

When you scroll through the doc, the page numbers are correct - and when you
refresh the TOC, the page numbers go back to normal.

Any ideas? They would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Laura

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Corruption of the TOC is usually a result of opening the document in Reading
Layout view (F9 should cure it). Tell recipients to clear the check box for
"Allow starting in Reading Layout" on the General tab of Tools | Options.

"Laura C Johnson" wrote in message
Everyone,

I'm using Word 2003 with WinXP.

I have a puzzling problem - I'm working with a colleague who has created a
54 page doc. He's created a TOC which reflects the correct page numbers.

He then saved the doc...and when he (or anyone else) opens it, the TOC

shows
everything on Page 3.

When you scroll through the doc, the page numbers are correct - and when

you
refresh the TOC, the page numbers go back to normal.

Any ideas? They would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Laura

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura C Johnson Laura C Johnson is offline

Thanks!

Do I need to do anything else to the document? Or just have them change the
Reading Layout View?

Laura

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Corruption of the TOC is usually a result of opening the document in
Reading
Layout view (F9 should cure it). Tell recipients to clear the check box
for
"Allow starting in Reading Layout" on the General tab of Tools | Options.

so
all may benefit.

"Laura C Johnson" wrote in message
Everyone,

I'm using Word 2003 with WinXP.

I have a puzzling problem - I'm working with a colleague who has created
54 page doc. He's created a TOC which reflects the correct page numbers.

He then saved the doc...and when he (or anyone else) opens it, the TOC

shows
everything on Page 3.

When you scroll through the doc, the page numbers are correct - and when

you
refresh the TOC, the page numbers go back to normal.

Any ideas? They would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Laura

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the document is correct leaving you and incorrect when they open it, then
I think they'll find it will still be correct provided they don't open it in
Reading Layout view. Also, as I said, it is my understanding that if they
switch to some over view and F9 to update the TOC it will be corrected.

"Laura C Johnson" wrote in message
Thanks!

Do I need to do anything else to the document? Or just have them change

the
Reading Layout View?

Laura

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Corruption of the TOC is usually a result of opening the document in
Reading
Layout view (F9 should cure it). Tell recipients to clear the check box
for
"Allow starting in Reading Layout" on the General tab of Tools |

Options.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Laura C Johnson" wrote in message
Everyone,

I'm using Word 2003 with WinXP.

I have a puzzling problem - I'm working with a colleague who has

created
54 page doc. He's created a TOC which reflects the correct page

numbers.

He then saved the doc...and when he (or anyone else) opens it, the TOC

shows
everything on Page 3.

When you scroll through the doc, the page numbers are correct - and

when
you
refresh the TOC, the page numbers go back to normal.

Any ideas? They would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Laura

Numbering Style System Problem Octavee Uhl Formatting Long Documents 7 June 19th 06 08:41 AM
Tab at 0.63 cm Geoff Page Layout 10 November 9th 05 02:15 AM
How do I continue numbering from one list style to another? Dan M Microsoft Word Help 4 October 20th 05 08:59 PM
Restart numbering using LISTNUM Christina Microsoft Word Help 2 May 18th 05 01:42 AM
Difficulties with numbered headings Paul Terrano Formatting Long Documents 6 January 20th 05 05:57 PM