jwknock

Default Updating Fields on a save

Trying to create a template which holds the filename in the header. If you
save the document under a new name the filename field will only update on
printing if the box is ticked in Tools, Options, Printing. I would like to
force the field to update as soon as file is saved. I realise this possibly
should come under "programming" topic.
Jezebel

You'll need to write some code --

Dim pRange as Word.Range
For each pRange in ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
Do
pRange.Fields.update
set pRange = pRange.NextStoryRange
Loop until pRange is nothing
Next

That update all fields in your document, wherever they're located. (Apart
from headers and footers, fields in textboxes and footnotes also need to be
updated separately.)

"jwknock" wrote in message
Trying to create a template which holds the filename in the header. If you
save the document under a new name the filename field will only update on
printing if the box is ticked in Tools, Options, Printing. I would like to
force the field to update as soon as file is saved. I realise this

possibly
should come under "programming" topic.

jwknock

Thanks, I thought it would be something like that, where I'm stumped is how
to capture a SAve or Save as so I can do that update as soon as the user
saves the file under a new name.

"jwknock" wrote in message
Trying to create a template which holds the filename in the header. If you
save the document under a new name the filename field will only update on
printing if the box is ticked in Tools, Options, Printing. I would like to
force the field to update as soon as file is saved. I realise this

possibly
should come under "programming" topic.

Greg Maxey

Maybe something like:

Sub FileSaveAs()

Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs).Show

Dim pRange as Word.Range
For each pRange in ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
Do
pRange.Fields.update
set pRange = pRange.NextStoryRange
Loop until pRange is nothing