Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Paul

Default Go To [Page Number] Logic?

Hi,

I have a document with a number of sections - 67 pages in the first, 70 in
the second and a few other sections at the end just a few page each.

If you use the Go To dialog to select page 68, Word actually goes to page 68
of the second section (regardless of the original cursor location) which is
in fact the 135th page of the document. If you were to choose (say) page
120, Word will go to the 120th page (presumably because there is no 'page
number' 120 in any of the sections).

Specifying pages to print in the Print dialog seems to work on a similar
logic.

While I can work around this happily enough it is driving some of my users
mad. Is there some way to override the logic so that when you choose to
print from, or go to, page 68, you actually go to the 68th page of the
document, not to page 68 in the first section that has that many pages.

I hope the above makes sense - sometimes difficult to describe a 'feature'
that seems to make no sense at all!

TIA

Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Charles Kenyon

You don't tell us, but I assume that you have restarted your page numbering
at the section break. You can specify sections and pages in the print
dialog, not sure how to handle this in GoTo other than by putting bookmarks
where you want them. Do you use heading styles? If so, the document map or
displays in the scroll bar would help you navigate in the document.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Forget that there is any "logic" to this and specify page ranges the way
Word expects them. When you have more than one section, you must include the
section number. For more, see the "Print specific pages and sections"
portion of the "Print a document" Help topic.

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
LH

Try adding the letter "p" before the number; i.e., p68, for either the
GO TO or the PRINT dialogs for specifing "document page numbering," my
own term. You may also use the letter "s"to indicate a section number;
i.e., s3 for the first page of section 3. You may also combine -- but I
can't remember if it is p1s3 or s3p1. You can combine as well in the
print dialog -- p1s3 to 110

When using these numbering switches, it is important to realize that
the print dialog really prefers both a starting and ending number.
Entering p68 as a beginning, will print the document from that point
all the way to the end. You should enter p68 as a beginning AND ending
if all you want to do is print that page.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Paul

Hi,

Sorry, yes the page numbering restarts at the section break.

I do use headings and the document map so that helps. Main problem is that
my users are reviewing against a paper copy so when they find something they
want to amend, using Go To and the page number is easier for them than using
the document map.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Paul

Brilliant,

Thank you, that is just what I needed! Couldn't find it in help - not sure
if I was just being dim or if this is undocumented.

"LH" wrote in message
ups.com...
Try adding the letter "p" before the number; i.e., p68, for either the
GO TO or the PRINT dialogs for specifing "document page numbering," my
own term. You may also use the letter "s"to indicate a section number;
i.e., s3 for the first page of section 3. You may also combine -- but I
can't remember if it is p1s3 or s3p1. You can combine as well in the
print dialog -- p1s3 to 110

When using these numbering switches, it is important to realize that
the print dialog really prefers both a starting and ending number.
Entering p68 as a beginning, will print the document from that point
all the way to the end. You should enter p68 as a beginning AND ending
if all you want to do is print that page.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Tony Jollans

It works the way it works - and just for confusion, it doesn't work quite
the same way as the Print dialog.

I know this won't be perfect but what you should be able to do is ..

Press Ctrl+Home
In the GoTo Dialog, enter, say +68

This will jump forward 68 pages regardless of sections - and go to page 69
(section 2 page 2 in your example)

However, if your users have paper copies with page numbers on, and those
page numbers have been restarted somewhere they are not going to know the
absolute page number and it might be easier all round if you printed the
section number with the page number so that they would know exactly where
to go and could enter, say s2p2

--
Enjoy,
Tony

Check Box Logic Eleanor Mailmerge 1 September 22nd 05 09:40 PM
Formal Language of Predicate Logic superslyfly Microsoft Word Help 1 March 31st 05 04:33 PM
Fuzzy logic matching in a DLL Dave Williams Microsoft Word Help 3 March 23rd 05 05:52 AM