Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bubbles[_2_] Bubbles[_2_] is offline

Default Can't open Word File because of end tag/start tag mismatch error

Dear Group,

My word (professional plus 2010) crashed while I was putting the
finishing touches on my Master's thesis (!!) and when I tried to
reopen the file I got the following error:

"the file Thesis.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with
the contents.
Details: The XML data is invalid according to the schema. Location:
part: /word/document.xml, Line 2, Column:0"
then
"the file Thesis.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with
the contents.
Details: The name in the end tag of the element must match the element
type in start tag.
Location: Part: /word/document.xml, Line 2, Column: 9242388"

I renamed it to a zip file, extracted document.xml, and tried to
repair the file but I cannot tell which tag is left open. Can anyone
please help me?!

Here is a link to the doc.xml file: https://rapidshare.com/files/2988816111/document.xml

I am a little panicked as I am supposed to turn in my thesis soon.
Eeek!

Thank you so much in advance,

Sarah
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Have you tried using Tony Jollans's rebuilder? See
http://www.wordarticles.com/temp/Rebuilder.dotm. Also, you shouldn't get the
error in the first place if you have applied SP1 for Office 2010.

http://word.mvps.org

"Bubbles" wrote in message
[...]

captainfuture captainfuture is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Hi Sarah, I had same issues recently with a document of a friend of mine. If you still need support I think I have a solution for your problem.

Captainfuture
SAGD SAGD is offline
Junior Member

Hello Bubbles,

I just got to exactly the same issue with the same version of word. It is actually my thesis file too. Did you manage to resolve the problem and open the file? Could you please let me know how you could open your file. You help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

FILE TAG RBPrice Microsoft Word Help 7 November 19th 08 03:08 PM
Tag in Microsoft Word Jeno Microsoft Word Help 6 November 18th 08 02:16 PM
Smart Tag has spelling error in my name. How do I correct? Howeey Microsoft Word Help 14 December 4th 06 02:55 PM
How do I put the meta tag in the HTML file? Peace Crusader Microsoft Word Help 0 June 4th 06 11:53 AM
how do I tag document with visible file path info FRED Microsoft Word Help 2 June 11th 05 03:27 AM