Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
OASYS OASYS is offline

Default how do we create a corporate letterhead preventing alteration?

we cannot use the 'protect/unprotect' features of W2K3, because the dictation
service needs to be able to write to the properties of the document. we put
the logo and addresses in the header of the first page, but now how do we get
users to open the doc and start typing at x/y coordinates, etc. this cannot
be anything new to the Word World.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use a letterhead *template* with the logo and masthead in the firstpage
header. http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm
It doesn't need protecting and by being a header will not be accidentally
changed. Nothing you can do will stop malicious users from screwing up your
best laid plans - but training is the obvious solution. Tell the users what
is required to use that template.

OASYS wrote:
we cannot use the 'protect/unprotect' features of W2K3, because the
dictation service needs to be able to write to the properties of the
document. we put the logo and addresses in the header of the first
page, but now how do we get users to open the doc and start typing at
x/y coordinates, etc. this cannot be anything new to the Word World.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
OASYS OASYS is offline

I did try that of course, however, the key is getting the cursor to start at
the right spot when they open the document. Right now if they open the
template the cursor is on the logo in the header, not in the body of the
message. By "sectionalizing" we can change the margins and the cursor is
correct, and by protecting seciton 1, they can't write in that (header) area,
so the writing begins in the 'body' where they want it. Is this making sense?

OASYS wrote:
we cannot use the 'protect/unprotect' features of W2K3, because the
dictation service needs to be able to write to the properties of the
document. we put the logo and addresses in the header of the first
page, but now how do we get users to open the doc and start typing at
x/y coordinates, etc. this cannot be anything new to the Word World.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the logo is actually *in* the header, there is no way the insertion point
will be on it when the document is opened. In addition to the article Graham
referenced, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm