CarolineJ

Default Toolbar problem

Not sure where to post this
Have a document that many people access through a hyperlink on web page.
Document has a toolbar.
Toolbar tends to disappear from view when the document is saved (can't get
to bottom of why this happens - seems to be due to our doc management system)
so trying to add code to ensure it always displays after a Save As - it's a
complicated document and options in toolbar help work in it and although
manually redisplaying the toolbar is easy people don't think to do it).
Come across problem as if user happens to have more than one copy of the
document open (even if doc renamed in each case) Word seems to think the
toolbar from each separate doc (toolbar has same name) is available in the
active doc although of course it isn't and errors if you try and control the
toolbar of the active document through code (I've found I have to reiterate
to ensure I 'grab' the last toolbar 'available' of the correct name). I'm
sure this shouldn't happen. Is it a know bug? Is there an easy way to get
round?
Shauna Kelly

Hi Caroline

What kind of document is this? That is, do people open the document, work on
it, and do File Save As?

If so, then you'd be better off relying on Word's built-in functionality
designed to cope with that situation. Save the document as a template,
complete with its toolbar. To set up the web page so that clicking the link
opens a new document based on the template, see
http://support.microsoft.com/default...us;278627&FR=1.

Now, whenever your users are viewing a document that is based on that
template, the toolbar will be visible. And whenever they swap to a document
based on another template, the toolbar will vanish from view.

This should also avoid the problems you're experiencing with multiple
versions of the same toolbar available in the application.

If you continue to have problems with the toolbar disappearing when users do
File Save, then it's probably a problem with the document management
system, and you should take it up with them. Doc management systems trap the
File Save and File Save As commands. If yours is doing nasty things like
hiding toolbars when a user saves a file, then it's a bug in the doc
management system, and the providers should fix it.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word