Arnaud

Default Word should allow Spell Check in 2 languages simultaneously

I produce bi-lingual documents (French-English). Even with Multilingual
Service Pack installed, only one language spellcheck works at a time. - If
autocorrect feature is on, and English language spell checking selected, my
French words are replaced with English words (or vice versa). THIS IS
EXTREMELY IRRITATING. Also the spellcheck function only proofs one language
at a time, so every word in the other language is identified as if it should
be corrected. Please create utility to allow true bilingual functionality
with spellcheck and grammar check - - There surely are many multi-lingual
documents produced. This is a necessary feature to add.

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Using Word 2002 or 2003, assuming that English is formatted as English and
Spanish is formatted as Spanish, Word handles proofing in both languages
just fine within a single document. Unless you've formatted a segment as a
particular language, however (by enabling auto-recognize or specifically
setting the language by applying a language-specific style, or setting the
language otherwise), Word can't possibly know what you intend.

Suppose, for example, that you have the word "tout" in your document. How in
the world, unless you've formatted it as French or English, could Word
possibly know which set of proofing tools to apply?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Arnaud" wrote in message
I produce bi-lingual documents (French-English). Even with Multilingual
Service Pack installed, only one language spellcheck works at a time. - If
autocorrect feature is on, and English language spell checking selected,
my
French words are replaced with English words (or vice versa). THIS IS
EXTREMELY IRRITATING. Also the spellcheck function only proofs one
language
at a time, so every word in the other language is identified as if it
should
be corrected. Please create utility to allow true bilingual functionality
with spellcheck and grammar check - - There surely are many multi-lingual
documents produced. This is a necessary feature to add.

You can have spell checking (at least "Check spelling as you type") in more
than one language provided the correct language is applied to the text.
Select the text and apply the appropriate language via Tools | Language |
Set Language. I often do this to double-check my spelling (or stop Word's
bitching and moaning) when I throw in French words. I wouldn't trust
AutoCorrect with my spelling in any language.