Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Trudy

Default IF Condition Question

We are having a problem with an Outlook address/Word Mail Merge problem. In
the addresses that the recipient has a middle initial, the merge works fine.
When there is no middle initial, two spaces are being inserted between the
first and last names instead of one.

Could someone tell me what is wrong with the below? The middle initial is a
separate field.

The first condition is:
{ IF { MERGEFIELD Middle_Initial } = " " { MERGEFIELD First_Name }" " {
MERGEFIELD Last_Name }"

The second condition is:
" { MERGEFIELD First_Name }" " { MERGEFIELD Middle_Initial" "{ MERGEFIELD
Last_Name }"
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Use

{ MERGEFIELD First_Name } { IF { MERGEFIELD Middle_Initial } = "" "{
MERGEFIELD Last_Name }" "{ MERGEFIELD Middle_Initial } {MERGEFIELD
Last_Name }" }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Trudy" wrote in message
We are having a problem with an Outlook address/Word Mail Merge problem.
In
the addresses that the recipient has a middle initial, the merge works
fine.
When there is no middle initial, two spaces are being inserted between the
first and last names instead of one.

Could someone tell me what is wrong with the below? The middle initial is
separate field.

The first condition is:
{ IF { MERGEFIELD Middle_Initial } = " " { MERGEFIELD First_Name }" " {
MERGEFIELD Last_Name }"

The second condition is:
" { MERGEFIELD First_Name }" " { MERGEFIELD Middle_Initial" "{ MERGEFIELD
Last_Name }"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

There is no 'middle_initial' field normally associated with merges from
Outlook - see http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

However the correct syntax would be

{Mergefield First_Name}{IF {Mergefield Middle_Initial} ""
"space{Mergefield Middle_Initial}"}space{Mergefield Last_Name}

Replace space with real spaces

Trudy wrote:
We are having a problem with an Outlook address/Word Mail Merge
problem. In the addresses that the recipient has a middle initial,
the merge works fine. When there is no middle initial, two spaces are
being inserted between the first and last names instead of one.

Could someone tell me what is wrong with the below? The middle
initial is a separate field.

The first condition is:
{ IF { MERGEFIELD Middle_Initial } = " " { MERGEFIELD First_Name }" "
{ MERGEFIELD Last_Name }"

The second condition is:
" { MERGEFIELD First_Name }" " { MERGEFIELD Middle_Initial" "{
MERGEFIELD Last_Name }"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Trudy

I found a very simple answer on the web last night. I tested it and it works
perfectly. Thanks to everyone!

http://www.hillsdale.edu/its/tips/mmspace.asp