Tgar99

Default Message stating "too many data fields"

I am extracting numerous variables from an external database. However, I am
only using so many at a time depending on the form I'm using. When I merge, I
keep getting a message stating, for example "record 2 contained too many data
fields." It goes away after you clock "OK". But if you have 100 records you
have to click "OK" on all of them in order for it to merge. Is there anyway
too turn this message off permanently? Thank you.
Peter Jamieson

This doesn't have anything to do with the fact that you are not always using
all the fields in the data source. It is usually caused by a mismatch
between the number of fields listed in the header record of the data source
and the number of fields Word finds in the data records. That might happen
because there really is a variable number of fields in each record, or it
might happen if, for example, your data source is a comma-delimited text
file and commas are used in your data, e.g. if you have a street address
like 23, High Street and do not surround it with quotes. Or it may happen
because you have a plain text data source with unquoted multiline addresses.

Peter Jamieson

data fields MariA Mailmerge 1 March 3rd 05 07:50 AM
Specific Email Merge w/ Specific Attachements Mark B Mailmerge 9 February 21st 05 05:10 AM
Using excel as a data source, but only getting 63 fields Andrew Mailmerge 2 January 10th 05 03:02 AM
can data fields be added to an exisiting mail merge address list missode Microsoft Word Help 1 December 19th 04 11:29 PM
posting data from text input fields to fields later in document BOB Microsoft Word Help 1 November 23rd 04 06:19 PM