Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mitch Mitch is offline

Default How do I hide footnote numbers in text, but keep end notes visible

I am writing a book in which I want to include annotated information at the
end, so I would like to have a section of end notes, but no footnote numbers
visible in the main text. How do I create footnotes, but hide the superscript
number in the main body of the book while still displaying the endnote text
at the end of the document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Mitch,

Simple - format the superscript number as hidden, and make sure 'hidden text'
is unchecked in Tools|Options|Print.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Mitch" wrote in message
| I am writing a book in which I want to include annotated information at the
| end, so I would like to have a section of end notes, but no footnote numbers
| visible in the main text. How do I create footnotes, but hide the
superscript
| number in the main body of the book while still displaying the endnote text
| at the end of the document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mitch Mitch is offline

Default How do I hide footnote numbers in text, but keep end notes vis

Thanks for the response.

Is there a way to automatically format all of the superscript numbers as
"hidden text," rather than do it one-by-one? I'd also like to be able to
quickly go back and forth between hiding and revealing the superscript
numbers in the main text.

Mitch

"Mitch" wrote in message
| I am writing a book in which I want to include annotated information at the
| end, so I would like to have a section of end notes, but no footnote numbers
| visible in the main text. How do I create footnotes, but hide the
superscript
| number in the main body of the book while still displaying the endnote text
| at the end of the document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since there won't be any point in having the endnotes numbered (if there are
no references in the text), you can modify the Endnote Reference style to be
Hidden. You can show/hide the references onscreen by toggling nonprinting
characters; you can toggle them for print either by printing/not printing
Hidden text (if that's all that's hidden) or by modifying the style.