Sheenemm

Default Outlook hoax!

I opened a word document attached to an email message in my inbox. I modified
it a great deal and while doing it, kept on saving it. When I closed the
email and came back in again, the changes were gone.

How does this work? Isn't this misleading on part of word to behave in this
manner? Giving an appearance of saving a document while really not saving it?
Is there anyway I can retrieve what I did?

Please advice.
Carole O

Open the attachment again, and select save. Note where Office saved the file
- probably to a Temporary Internet file. The file you worked on and saved
should be there. Remember - the next time you open an attachment, save as
immediately to a folder you select - not one Office selects!

Hope this helps,
Carole O
"Sheenemm" wrote:

I opened a word document attached to an email message in my inbox. I modified
it a great deal and while doing it, kept on saving it. When I closed the
email and came back in again, the changes were gone.

How does this work? Isn't this misleading on part of word to behave in this
manner? Giving an appearance of saving a document while really not saving it?
Is there anyway I can retrieve what I did?

Please advice.

Well, it *is* saving, and as long as the last thing you do is Save As to a
more secure location, your edits will be preserved. But it is being saved in
a temporary file in a temp folder, so when you close it (or close Word),
it's gone, which is why Save As at the outset is a better option. Some
recent versions of Outlook/OE probably won't even let you open the document
directly from the email (for security reasons).