#1   Report Post  

Default All docs copy to CD burn lost contents originals too

I recently wanted to back up some important doc and txt files on a CD. I opened the CD drive in Explorer, copied about 20 files of mostly Word 2007 but also a couple of plain text files to it. Then hit "Burn to CD". It said it was burning, but then the files would not open.

The major problem is the original files in the folder on my desktop and some just on my desktop now have a gold padlock icon on the lower left. The text files and some docs do not. Some of them won't open and I get two error messages with boxes I have to close.

The first one that opens over a blue background says "the file (name of file) cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents. Then OK and Details buttons are there. Details say the file is corrupt and cannot be opened. Then it says parts are missing or invalid.

It also asks if I want to try to recover if I trust the source. I click yes and get the missing/invalid msg. The text files I opened are just blank. I learned my lesson finally and have backup copies of the files.

I want to know why this happened and how I can prevent it from happening in the future. I seem to have a vague memory of this copy to CD burn messing up documents once before-but I'm not sure. Still, it's very strange.

Anyone? I've read and searched and this is not about locking the file or changing those settings.