Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cmc cmc is offline

Default How do I create a new list style in Word 2007?

I add a bullet character to a paragraph, then try to create a new list style.
I can select list style in the Create New Style from Formatting dialog box
and I can name the style. However, when I exit the dialog, only List
Paragraph appears in the Styles task pane. The new list style that I created
and named is nowhere to be found and so I can't apply it to other text.

Please clarify what a list style is and how I create one. Also, the linked
style is listed as one of five styles to create. What is this and how do I
create one? I need to be able to explain how to use all five style types to
other users.
cmc
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Y21j?=,

I add a bullet character to a paragraph, then try to create a new list style.
I can select list style in the Create New Style from Formatting dialog box
and I can name the style. However, when I exit the dialog, only List
Paragraph appears in the Styles task pane. The new list style that I created
and named is nowhere to be found and so I can't apply it to other text.

Please clarify what a list style is and how I create one. Also, the linked
style is listed as one of five styles to create. What is this and how do I
create one? I need to be able to explain how to use all five style types to
other users.

List and table styles are no longer listed with paragraph and character styles.
They're managed separately. Also, in Word 2007 the term "list style" applies
only to multi-level numbering. To create a new bullet, number, or multi-level
numbering (list style) format, start in the HOME tab. Click the dropdown arrow
next to the bullet, number, or multilevel number button. Choose the "Define
new..." Command.

A linked style is a paragraph style whose character formatting properties (font
formatting) can be applied to text within other paragraphs. Word stores both the
paragraph as well as the character formatting as two styles. If the definition
of one is changed (black font color to red, for example), it changes for the
other at the same time. Deleting one deletes the other.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)