sjschmidtky

Default Columns with text that stays on one side with pictures & footnotes

I have an unusual formatting situation - I have a memoir written by my Danish
Great Grandfather and I want to present the translation in the left column
and the English translation on the right. I also want to include footnotes
and insert pictures throughout that help illustrate parts of the memoir. I
essentially want each column to not do an automatic column break but continue
on the same side for subsequent pages. Then, the original text and the
English translation would appear on their own sides through subsequent pages.
I want to insert pictures in "artistic" ways on the pages and have the text
surround the picture wherever I may place it (in the middle or off-center on
the page of two columns).

I've investigated three options: columns, tables, text boxes. Columns
requires that I keep fiddling with manual pagination and putting in column
breaks - a pain in the neck. Tables work well, but I can only put the
pictures in one column or the other and I can't put them where they might
span columns. Text boxes requires that I put text boxes on multiple pages
(the text could span up to 30 pages), but then I can't use footnotes in text
boxes.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I might solve my problem and get
everything I want?

Would I be better served using Publisher (does it handle footnotes) or
another product that does everything I want?

Thanks,
--
Steve
katin42

You might consider adding your question to the Publishers Newsgroup section
for their input, and something less labor intensive. With the many
objectives listed, it makes a difference to know what version of Microsoft
Office-Word you are using. Columns still might be one to consider, no matter
what version. You can set them up independently English on one side, Danish
on the other. You might consider adding all the text first for the body,and
have both colums completed. Footnotes, in the smallest font setting, you can
get away with next, picture objects (optional--set to the front-to account
for space, and future editing), then last pagination (using Headers & Footers
option or other). You're right about the textbox option being more limiting.
Tables might look too formal for a sentimental layout. Still, others might
have different options. If you go with Columns, be sure to allow for smaller
margins to create more space. If you didn't want to use Headers & Footers,
you can manually add in a set of numerical picture objects, access each
numbers properties, and set to the front. You might (not sure) have to
manually center the numbers, or in properties set them to the left or right
of a column. They have beautiful numbers at Clip Art and Media. WordArt
might be fun to use for the date settings in your memoir. For the text, be
sure to pick a smaller font setting (12, 14, & 16), because it sounds like
you don't want an extensive number of pages. Fourteen or less for regular
text, and 16 for titles, might still be pretty packed in, depending on the
size and amount of photos. It sounds really interesting. Wish I could see
the end result. You can also increase and descrease your picture objects or
family photos, that you'll be dropping into the layout.