Tom

Default hide wavy underlines for spell checking

When I create a document I want spell check it but when I distribute it to
other users who view it in Word, I don't want then to see the wavy lines on
misspelled words or grammar. Names and special formatting are showing
underlined with wavy lines. If I put the names in the dictionary its only
added in my local dictionary. If I put an extra!! it shows a grammar error.
I'd like the users to just see the document without the wavy lines. File must
be distributed in .doc format.

There are several approaches to this:

1. The easiest, and probably the best for your purposes, is to check "Hide
spelling errors in this document" on the Spelling & Grammar tab of Tools |
Options. This is a document-specific setting that suppresses the "Check
spelling as you type" formatting but does not prevent you from running spell
check explicitly. Similarly, you can check the box for "Hide grammatical
errors in this document."

2. Select the entire document and format it as "Do not check spelling or
grammar" (Tools | Language | Set Language). This will affect the entire
document permanently; if you run spell check, no errors will be found,.

3. You can define a character style (based on Default Paragraph Font) that
has Language set to "Do not check spelling or grammar" and apply this style
to the "misspelled" words.

"Tom" wrote in message
When I create a document I want spell check it but when I distribute it to
other users who view it in Word, I don't want then to see the wavy lines

on
misspelled words or grammar. Names and special formatting are showing
underlined with wavy lines. If I put the names in the dictionary its only
added in my local dictionary. If I put an extra!! it shows a grammar

error.
I'd like the users to just see the document without the wavy lines. File

must
be distributed in .doc format.

Tom

Thanks for the info.

It seems that turning off spell checking is only for my machine, the setting
doesn't stay with the document. I turned off spell check & grammar checking,
sent the document via email to another machine, unfortunately when I opened
the Word attachment on the second machine the wavy lines were still there.

Have you had any experience with the Save As Word 97 €“ 2003 RTF? Saving with
this type seems to fix the problem but I'm concerned with compatibility with
other (non 2003 versions) of WORD.
Tom

"Tom" wrote in message
When I create a document I want spell check it but when I distribute it to
other users who view it in Word, I don't want then to see the wavy lines

on
misspelled words or grammar. Names and special formatting are showing
underlined with wavy lines. If I put the names in the dictionary its only
added in my local dictionary. If I put an extra!! it shows a grammar

error.
I'd like the users to just see the document without the wavy lines. File

must
be distributed in .doc format.

Did anyone suggest turning off spell checking? No, I suggested either using
"Hide spelling errors," which is a setting saved with the document, or
formatting the text as "Do not check spelling or grammar," which is a
language setting that will likewise travel with the document. If you are
saving as .rtf rather than .doc, then I can't guarantee the results.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Tom" wrote in message
When I create a document I want spell check it but when I distribute

it to
other users who view it in Word, I don't want then to see the wavy

lines
on
misspelled words or grammar. Names and special formatting are showing
underlined with wavy lines. If I put the names in the dictionary its

only
added in my local dictionary. If I put an extra!! it shows a grammar

error.
I'd like the users to just see the document without the wavy lines.

File
must
be distributed in .doc format.

Beth Melton

The Tools/Options/Spelling and Grammar: "Hide spelling errors in this
document" and "Hide grammatical errors in this document" are document
specific and are not local - they should travel with the document.

If I create a document, turn the options on, and open it on another
computer they remain turned on.

If they were local then once you turn the options on they will remain
on. Instead, if you create a new document you'll find the options have
been turned off. (Unless of course they are turned on in the template
you are using to base your new documents on.)

As Suzanne noted, if you are saving the document in Word 97 - 2003 RTF
format then the "Hide spelling/grammatical errors" option will not
work. You'll need to use the "Do not check spelling or grammar" option
found under Tools/Language/Set Language to hide the spelling errors.
This seems to remain after saving as RTF.

Note you'll need to select the entire document or utilize a style
since this option is character specific.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/