mscove

Default How do I do the equivalent from the Mac world of "copying and pas.

I want to learn how to copy and paste the formatting ruler in a Word
document. I am new to the Windows world. In a Mac, in Appleworks, you can
simply copy the ruler from one section of a document and paste (and therefore
apply) it into another. I don't know how to do the equivalent in Word or
whether you have to set up a new document section every time. Any help would
be appreciated.
Carol

Any time you want to copy formatting, simply highlight the area you already
have formatted to your liking and then click on the format painter on your
tool bar. Your cursor will then turn into a paint brush. Simply drag the
paint brush over the text where you want like formatting. I hope this has
been helpful to you.

"mscove" wrote:

I want to learn how to copy and paste the formatting ruler in a Word
document. I am new to the Windows world. In a Mac, in Appleworks, you can
simply copy the ruler from one section of a document and paste (and therefore
apply) it into another. I don't know how to do the equivalent in Word or
whether you have to set up a new document section every time. Any help would
be appreciated.

Anne Troy

Hi, mscove. It may help you to know:
1. Page formatting is stored in the last paragraph return OR (if the
document has them) in the section break at the end of the section.
2. Paragraph formatting is stored in the paragraph return that resides at
the end of a paragraph.
3. All other formatting (and paragraph formatting, too) can be copied using
the format painter. See:
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/f...oft_office.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"mscove" wrote in message
I want to learn how to copy and paste the formatting ruler in a Word
document. I am new to the Windows world. In a Mac, in Appleworks, you

can
simply copy the ruler from one section of a document and paste (and

therefore
apply) it into another. I don't know how to do the equivalent in Word or
whether you have to set up a new document section every time. Any help

would
be appreciated.

Daiya Mitchell

You might be interested in this link:
http://word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/Differences.htm

Though I've used AppleWorks, a little bit, and your question doesn't make
any sense to me. So if the existing replies are not what you were looking
for, you will have to explain more carefully and precisely what you need.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

CyberTaz

Hello-

Like Daiya, I haven't used AppleWorks extensively or in a long time, but if
I remember correctly, you aren't referring to 'formatting' as in bold,
italic, etc. Instead, do you mean Indents & Tabs? And what you want to do is
use the same settings in another area of the document after having applied
different settings 'in between'. Tou can copy a ruler and paste it into a
different location to use the same settings that you had previously used. (I
think sone versions of WordPerfect used the same technique.)

If I am guessing right, the distinction is more a Word vs AppleWorks issue
than Mac vs PC, but you don't need multiple rulers.

As suggested by the others, one option is to select the ¶ at the end of the
para that has the Indents & Tabs settings you want to use, then click the
Format Painter button (next to the Paste button), then double-click the ¶ at
the end of the para you want to apply those settings to.

Are we at all close?

Regards |:)

On 8/2/05 2:35 PM, in article
, "mscove"
wrote:

I want to learn how to copy and paste the formatting ruler in a Word
document. I am new to the Windows world. In a Mac, in Appleworks, you can
simply copy the ruler from one section of a document and paste (and therefore
apply) it into another. I don't know how to do the equivalent in Word or
whether you have to set up a new document section every time. Any help would
be appreciated.

Ctrl+Shift+C will copy the paragraph formatting at the insertion point. If
you have text selected, it will copy the font formatting as well.
Ctrl+Shift+V pastes the formatting wherever you want it. This formatting is
saved to a special sort of Clipboard and remains available for pasting until
you copy a different format.