Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

Default How can I override the autocorrect options for individual documents?

For most of my docs, I want smart quotes, smart dashes, smart
fractions, ordinal superscripts, etc.

But, for some docs, this causes problems. I would like to override
these settings in just a few documents without affecting any other
documents. Can I do that? Easily?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You can disable the options temporarily but not for a specific document.
Unfortunately, they're global settings. I have this problem whenever I'm
working on a dictionary manuscript where the defined terms should not be
capitalized; I have to disable the option to capitalize the first letter of
sentences just while I'm working on that document.

"Sesquipedalian Sam" wrote in message
For most of my docs, I want smart quotes, smart dashes, smart
fractions, ordinal superscripts, etc.

But, for some docs, this causes problems. I would like to override
these settings in just a few documents without affecting any other
documents. Can I do that? Easily?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:04:41 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

You can disable the options temporarily but not for a specific document.
Unfortunately, they're global settings. I have this problem whenever I'm
working on a dictionary manuscript where the defined terms should not be
capitalized; I have to disable the option to capitalize the first letter of
sentences just while I'm working on that document.

Rats.

I am using Word 2007, if that's any advantage...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

wrote:

You can disable the options temporarily but not for a specific document.
Unfortunately, they're global settings. I have this problem whenever I'm
working on a dictionary manuscript where the defined terms should not be
capitalized; I have to disable the option to capitalize the first letter of
sentences just while I'm working on that document.

Rats.

I am using Word 2007, if that's any advantage...

It doesn't make any difference what version of Word you have, but it does make a
difference if all the documents concerned are based on the same template (or a
few templates), while all other documents are _not_ based on that template.

If that condition is true, you can add macros to the template to turn the
options off when you open a document based on that template, and turn them on
again when you close the document. But this works properly only if these
documents are opened one at a time, while no other documents are open.

The macros to add are Document_Open and Document_Close (see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...entEvents.htm), and the statements
to put into them are, for example,

Options.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceQuotes = False

in Document_Open to turn off the Smart Quotes replacement, and

Options.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceQuotes = True

in Document_Close to turn it on again. There is a whole sequence of
Options.AutoFormatAsYouTypeXYZ options to be handled this way.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the code, but I typically have several documents open at
the same time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lurfys Maw Lurfys Maw is offline

wrote:

[...]

This seems like a design defect. I wouldthink that these properties
and a lot of other ones are very document specific, or can be.

I also wish Word would remember exactly how the document window
looked, including whether the Document Map was open and where it is on
the screen, and put it back exactly that way the next time I open it.

Oh, well. Maybe Google's Open Office will work that way...