Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] remik500@yahoo.com is offline

Default Word loses formating....

Hi all..
A problem that's been frustrating us for months...
We are editing word documents in a team (each member updating a
document and then mailing it in email to the others)
Whenever they they send me the document, it is wholly stripped of many
formatting elements (bullets disappear through the entire document,
paragraph formatting changes) even though they only edited its text in
a few places..! We use Word 2000 (and so do they) but also tried
2003. This happens every time they change anything and send it to me.
I tried to copy the entire text of the document to notepad, paste it
in a new word document of a different template without any formatting,
re-applied all formatting manually, and then sent it to them for
editing. Came back stripped as usual.

Can the transfer between 2000 and 2003 lead to such chaos?

thanks for any advice!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi

This isn't normal behaviour. To solve the problem, you'll need to do some
detective work to identify the point at which things are going awry.

First, make sure that none of these documents has "Update styles from
template" ticked. For more information, see
What happens when I send my document to someone else? Will Word mess up my
formatting?
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/shar...matChange.html

If that doesn't solve the problem, you'll need to investigate whether any
unruly add-in is causing these problems. To identify add-ins on your
machine, see
http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/wo...CL100636481033

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] remik500@yahoo.com is offline

On Aug 25, 1:21 pm, "Shauna Kelly"
wrote:
Hi

This isn't normal behaviour. To solve the problem, you'll need to do some
detective work to identify the point at which things are going awry.

First, make sure that none of these documents has "Update styles from
template" ticked. For more information, see
What happens when I send my document to someone else? WillWordmess up my
formatting?http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/shar...matChange.html

If that doesn't solve the problem, you'll need to investigate whether any
unruly add-in is causing these problems. To identify add-ins on your
machine, seehttp://office.microsoft.com/en-au/word/HA011514521033.aspx?pid=CL1006...

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

wrote in message

[...]

thanks for any advice!- Hide quoted text -

Hi... thanks for your thorough responses,
I looked in your site,
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/shar...matChange.html
and it recommeds to 'Use styles for all numbering' what does that
mean?
Isn't it so that when I click the 'numbering' icon in word on each
topic, that automatically applies a numbering style? is there anything
extra to do?
I did not number the document manually.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Clicking the Numbering button always applies the latest numbering style
used. Instead, define a numbered style and apply that style. For some tips,
see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

wrote in message
oups.com...