Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Tom is offline

Default Can Word "Compare and Merge Documents" between a Word and Adobe fi

I have a new Word file. I want to compare a 6-month old Adobe document to
this new Word file, and save the new compared/merged document in Word. So
far I have been unable to do this. (I am using Word 2003 with SP2, and Adobe
Reader 6.0.) With the new Word file open, I click "Tools", then "Compare and
Merge Documents", then I select the previous Adobe file to compare my new
document to. I instantly get a window prompting me for File Conversion,
asking me to pick a version [choices: Windows (Default), MS-DOS, and "Other
Encoding"] that is readable. None of these choices produces a readable file.
Whichever choice I select, the Merge/Comparison immediately takes place, but
does it wrong---I end up with the new Word file compared to the old Adobe
file...I want the old Adobe file compared to the new Word file.

And I never get to the next step that Word Help says I should reach, namely:
4. Click the arrow next to Merge, and then do one of the following:
To display the results of the comparison in the selected document, click
Merge.

To display the results in the document that is currently open, click Merge
into current document.
To display the results in a new document, click Merge into new
document--this is the choice I want.