Header / Footer weirdness

Old October 15th 19, 06:37 PM
D Mayo D Mayo is offline

Default Header / Footer weirdness

I am reformatting my novel and am experiencing strange Header / Footer problems. Section 1 contains front-matter pages (Title page, copyright page, dedication page and TOC page.) This section is no different first page and no odd/even pages. The footers for this section are blank with no page numbers and set the same as the Headers.

Section 2 starts the actual story. This section (both header and footer) is delinked from section 1.

With this scenario I can get all page numbers to act as I wish at first. From this point (section 2), the headers will have author name on odd pages and title on even. To accomplish this I obviously must activate odd/even pages. However, the moment I do this, page numbers and header info crop up in section 1.

Everything is delinked correctly (headers and footers) so I am at a lose to understand this behavior. I can subsequently disable odd/even in section 1 and eliminate the page numbers, but that results in odd/even disappearing in section 2.

What is happening? Thank you.

PS. First time poster.

David
Old October 15th 19, 09:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

Yeah, sections can be annoying. The first rule of thumb is always to start
at the very beginning. Be sure everything that could possibly connect it to
the next section is turned off. It wouldn't hurt to put roman-numbering into
the first section, then go back and take it out later.

Then go immediately to the first page of the next section. You'll probably want to tell it to start on a right-hand page regardless of whether "next
page" will do it right. Make sure everything that could possibly connect it
to the previous section is turned off, that you restart the page numbering,
etc. Then if each chapter is a new section (which you'll have to do if you
don't want a running head on a chapter-opening page), do it again, always
going forward, never backing up!

On Tuesday, October 15, 2019 at 3:31:05 PM UTC-4, D Mayo wrote:
I am reformatting my novel and am experiencing strange Header / Footer
problems. Section 1 contains front-matter pages (Title page, copyright
page, dedication page and TOC page.) This section is no different first
page and no odd/even pages. The footers for this section are blank with
no page numbers and set the same as the Headers.

Section 2 starts the actual story. This section (both header and
footer) is delinked from section 1.

With this scenario I can get all page numbers to act as I wish at first.
From this point (section 2), the headers will have author name on odd